Discussion Board

Error 46 when trying to install R&D certificate

Hello there. I made a Qt app, and now I am trying to publish it at the Nokia Store. I wrote developer.support requesting a key, and I got the reply with the sis file to install the certificate.

Now I am trying to install this sis file, but I get the message: "Failure. Cannot provision certificate database (-46)".

There is a thread here reporting the same error, but in my case I requested this key for myself, and the IMEI code should be just right. How do I check that? What else could be wrong?

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Error 46 when trying to install R&D certificate

basically -46 comes when a function that is not permitted (process is lacking capabilities, or the function execution is requiring some custom security stuff), thus what excat function is executed when you are getting this error ?

Perhaps it is related to an attempt of installing multiple developer certificates. There can be only a single devcert installed on your device at a time. If you have a previous certificate, uninstall it first.

Hi, guys. Thanks for your support. But I am feeling really lost here. I have no clue what an excat is, and to the best of my knowledge I have not installed any other certificates previously.

I just made an app, tried to publish, then got the zip file from developer.support@nokia with the sis file to install the certificate. I try to install it, and I get the -46 error. Every time I tried to install the file I got that.

I have already tried to remove the "Nokia R&D Certificate Provisioner" app, then reboot, then install again, but I always get the same thing. After the message the Provisioner does get installed, but it fails to recognize my app compiled with the provided UID.

Should I look into all the installed certificates to see any conflicting ones? What should I look for?

So you managed to install the Provisioner sis file, and you are having problems on your own application sis during installation time ?

Basically what kind of application you have and how are you trying to deploy it to the device ?

Quote Originally Posted by nlw View Post
    I have already tried to remove the "Nokia R&D Certificate Provisioner" app, then reboot, then install again, but I always get the same thing. After the message the Provisioner does get installed, but it fails to recognize my app compiled with the provided UID.
    Note that the story is not about 'recognition'
    The provisioner .sis file enables you to install applications signed with the .cer+.key files you received with it. So make sure that your application is not self-signed (default for projects generated by Carbide.c++, and probably Qt Creator), but it is signed with this special .cer+.key pair.
    An other thing for the -46: the certificate you received from Symbian Signed enables you to use higher level capabilities, but they have to be listed in the .mmp file of the project (CAPABILITY line, or just tick the capabilities in the interactive .mmp editor of Carbide.c++) in order to really use them.

I get the -46 error when I try to install the .sis file sent to me by developer.support, named "MyNameCERT19JAN2012.sis"

Although this error message appears, the process ends with the Provisioner installed, but it seems no certificate is installed, even though the Provisioner app is installed. (I looked for it on the certificates list, there is a name I read in a documentation that I should have found in the list...)

My application is very simple, a calculator written in Qt. I can execute it if I self-sign it, but if I use the provided UID it doesn't install, as expected since the certificate is not installed. I install it by copying the .sis file via USB and running it from the file manager. I am remote-building it, since I use Linux.

What I mean by recognition is to be able to install a package signed with the developer certificate.

My problem is happening when I try to install the Provisioner, before I try to install my application. The self-signed works perfectly, when I use the R&D key and the provided UID, the installation fails, as expected since the provisioner installation is not working and the certificate is not being installed to the phone.

I don't understand why you are talking about Symbian Signed. I am not going to use Symbian Signed, I want Nokia to sign the app, I'm just installing the R&D certificate that they ask us to use. Why is that necessary anyway if the application is so simple and don't access any critical resources?

Depending on the use of the phone it might be worth a try doing a factory reset on it. Of course it is easier if you are using the device for development purposes only, and can be painful if it is a device in personal use.

For the Symbian Signed / Nokia publisher certificate stuff, they are the same technology, just I did not re-read the thread from the beginning.

Super Contributor

Hi,

Just wonder what kind of UID (0x..?) and capability you have used in pro file? Could you mention here.

The UID was the one provided by Nokia, 0x200356dd.

I managed to install the certificate. I was sent a new zip file from Nokia, and I also upgraded to Belle.

How about the capabilities of your group,to install a program must have TrustUI