Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shortest Path from PySide App to Ovi Store

Hi!

I'm currently in the process of publishing my PySide app to the Ovi Store. However, I encountered some difficulties on the way. Currently, I'm using PySideAssistant to build a package for my application, but it includes some files which should not be included in the final package etc..

As PSA doesn't get things right, I'm wondering whether I've taken the best approach to this problem. Via searching, I've found several possible ways, but what is the "standard" way to publish a simple python-only app to the store? Is it via the OBS? Should I write my own makefiles for packaging, using dpkg-*? Or is there a way using the QtCreator? Is there some mysterious tool of which I don't know?

I'd be thankful for some pointers.
    Daniel

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Shortest Path from PySide App to Ovi Store

Unfortunately, there is no official recommendation for the time being. For me it sounds that the most feasible way is to provide patches for PySideAssistant that would then result in acceptable packages (since it claims it's building for Harmattan, I would say it's actually a bugfix . Of course, QtCreator (or even Scratchbox) could be used, but that sounds like a massive overkill to me. So, do we have a list of things PySideAssistant does wrong or required things it doesn't do ?

I am with you both. I keep getting apps rejected because of the version numbers and when I try to manually edit the files, the deb will no longer install normally.

I am using scratchbox, since I had it already set up for Maemo 5.
    I know it "wastes" 22 GB of my hard drive, but I don't care that much about that.
    In there I use dpkg-buildpackage to build the deb for OVI store/Installation and the ,tar.gz file for the OBS server.
    Once you have set it up, it works quite well.

I also use pyside-assistant to build them - that works well and is fast. My problem is, that you are not able to set pyside-assistant to install to /opt/<appname> allways it's landing at /usr/share/... In case of Harmattan and thanks to it's partitions it's not that big problem, but also not the "common" way. :-/

Any ideas?!

AlphaX2

I've said it works well?! No! It WON'T work anymore, but I don't have any idea why!

If I am creating a new project and want to build it, it says me "Failed to build initial package." BUT: it builds my old projects. I'm on Ubuntu 11.10?

Edit: If you are not setting a name, it takes your login name and my RL name holds also a non ASCII sign.

AlphaX2
    Last edited by AlphaX2; 2012-02-03 at 21:44.

You might want to check out Khertans sdist_maemo. I've modified it a bit and I'm using it together with a simple bash script to produce Ovi store compatible packages for Mieru.

Is it working out of the box, by only changing personal information, or did you changed some parts of the code. If yes - could you publish it? And will it be possible to use aegis manifest file with this way of package building?

Thanks in advance.

AlphaX2

Ok, I'll clean it up a bit and post a link.

So, here it is:
    http://www.modrana.org/misc/mieru_build_example.zip

It uses git to get the up-to-date source code and osc to upload the source package for building in OBS. It shouldn't be difficult to modify it to just get the source from a folder or build the package using dpkg (as no compilation is taking place).

Sdist_maemo has been modified a bit, mostly regarding its numbering scheme, so that the resulting package is ovi-store compliant. I have also add some code that removes autogenerated *.egg file clutter, that has been causing me a few Ovi store QA rejections (in __init__.py, line 274). Wouldn't be bad is someone took the changes and upstreamed them. Something like sdist_harmattan_ovi target or ovi_compliant=True switch.
    Last edited by m4rtink; 2012-03-14 at 16:09.

Any news on pyside-assistant? I tried it today and Nokia QA keeps complaining about not optified packages for harmattan.
    Does someone has a solution? I really want to use psa for my apps but have no idea how to solve this problem.
    XG_

Quote Originally Posted by webhamster2 View Post
    Hi!

I'm currently in the process of publishing my PySide app to the Ovi Store. However, I encountered some difficulties on the way. Currently, I'm using PySideAssistant to build a package for my application, but it includes some files which should not be included in the final package etc..

As PSA doesn't get things right, I'm wondering whether I've taken the best approach to this problem. Via searching, I've found several possible ways, but what is the "standard" way to publish a simple python-only app to the store? Is it via the OBS? Should I write my own makefiles for packaging, using dpkg-*? Or is there a way using the QtCreator? Is there some mysterious tool of which I don't know?

I'd be thankful for some pointers.
    Daniel
    Hi python's fan.

I've published an PySide application to Ovi Store : KhtSimpleText.

I've used PyPackager, it s a tool to package python software directly on device (on your n950 or n9). I use via a python script nammed make. Take a look at how i do on http://github.com/khertan/KhtSimpleText

PyPackager informations : http://khertan.net/PyPackager
    http://khertan.net/

If you summit change to git, i can merge them

Hello,

Thanks for sharing this possibility with us. But is it possible to integrate a aegis manifest file? Because if you want to use QtMobility stuff (location, organizer...) you need this - with pyside-assisstant it was possible, but it don't created "legal" packages for Nokia Store QA (because they want everything at /opt).

Thanks, AlphaX2

I didn't have take the time to include aegis digest yet, so the answer is no. sorry