Discussion Board

Carbide.vs to Open Sources!

Dear Nokia support.
    I'm involved in development for Symbian since 2005. Since 2008 me and my team work under Mobile Effort(R). I didn't saw better mobile OS than Symbian in core aspects and even after being experienced in BB, Android, iOS we're more interested in development for Symbian whenever this is possible.
    This OS is my favorite mobile platform, but I used to have main tool set of VS + Carbide.vs and was quite happy. In time when WinXP is migrated to Win7 with my new laptop I was upset with carbide.vs 3.01 version. Unfortunately, it's not supported more, so time by time issues are still annoying.
    For me 'not supported' (http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...de.vs_Overview) has got simple meaning: "not perspective+we don't want to spend money for this".

If so, probably, it's better to move Carbide.vs to Open Source project than to keep it archived in dusty folders of server HDDs and who knows, we may to breathe a new life to this super plugin in new Visual studio versions.

Re: Carbide.vs to Open Sources!

I agree. Carbide.vs should stay alive. Hope, it will be moved to Open source.

(Retired) Nokia Developer Admin.

If you read the fine print for Visual Studio, there is a clause in it that forbids you to use Viisual Studio to build certain types of competing software. As I recall it, once Microsoft created it's own mobile device OS there was a concern that the carbide.vs plugin could be considered as not allowed. However the reason it is not made anymore is moot, I believe Nokia sold the technology last summer.

Ron

If you read the fine print for Visual Studio, there is a clause in it that forbids you to use Viisual Studio to build certain types of competing software. As I recall it, once Microsoft created it's own mobile device OS there was a concern that the carbide.vs plugin could be considered as not allowed.
    Yes, something like that is possible, but, honestly, I didn't saw it.

Currently, in the world all companies want to monopolize own direction instead of fair competitions, keeping an accent on own quality. Unfortunately, Nokia uses the same way in OVI (see p. 1.10.1 of Ovi_Store_Content_Guidelines_1.3_November_25). BTW, you're partners with Microsoft, or not I guess if it's partnership and not loosing company face in one direction, so, possible to take some agreements with Microsoft regarding Nokia platforms also By declarations, partners could not be competitors in the same time

Anyway, I hope the product which isn't more supported had not been sold

Hi

Even if we still had ownership, the component has been removed from our offering for so long that there is no product to speak of (including business and RD ownership). Open-sourcing the project would require a non-trivial amount of work (code clean-up, licensing and IPR clearance, ...) and resources would have to be allocated for that. We do not see a strong enough business case to justify starting such a project.

Regards
    Hamish

Dear Hamish,
    There are many reasons why plugin was so much time without speeches: possible using of WinXP+vs2003+carbide.vs; carbide C++; going out of many devs from Symbian C++; Nokia+Microsoft so on. Unfortunately, that's only a philosophy. I know about possible hundreds of hours for improving, but it's my problems and Nokia itself doesn't loose anything.
    There is abstract weigher for Nokia with following possible things:
    1. to loose new potential developers which can't work with ugly tools (major);
    2. to spend some money to: license carbide.vs for any open-source license, publish sources in own 'projects' and either in the worst case to have nothing or to receive updated .vs plugin.

If 'Carbide C++' will work comparable with "MS VS+Visual AssistX+carbide.vs+Kings Tools" we of course, will use official choice of Nokia. Although free tools could look more magnetic, real efficient development with high source quality has got another rules.
    Honestly, it's quite hard for me to explain to my students why I took a fancy to so complicate development for that OS with carbide C++. They more oriented to VS development, so this is (I hope won't use 'was' on this place) an easy step to mobile world

seems thread died. RIP

Carbide 2.3 runs fine in my Windows XP

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by easpilcu View Post
    Carbide 2.3 runs fine in my Windows XP
    Which Carbide are you talking about? This thread is about the abandoned Carbide.vs which is an old add-on to an old version of Microsoft VisualStudio.