Discussion Board

How to format Sony Felica with NFC NDEF Message

Hello, I've Sony Felica RC-S965 NFC card but so far I haven't been able to format the card so that the NDEF Message on the tag would work together with NFC phones as the same NDEF Message works on other NFC tag types. So my question is how to format the Sony Felica card so that it would work the same way as NDEF data on other NFC tag types?

So far I've been able to encode the tag so that I'm able to select system code 12FCh after I changed the memory configuration code's system option from 00h to 01h (Block 88h, Byte 3). But when I try to encode the NDEF Message on the tag its not regonized by NFC phones. (I'm able to use the card via Java MIDlet Type3TagConnection but haven't been able to encode the NDEF data correctly on the tag..)

Any help?

Same problem in here: http://www.libnfc.org/community/post/2930/#p2930

Re: How to format Sony Felica with NFC NDEF Message

Hi, after changing Byte 3 in Block 88h, you still need to write the 'Attribute Information Block' to the tag. The 'Attribute Information Block' is defined in the 'Type 3 Tag operation Specification' of the NFC Forum, which defines how to store NDEF on such tags. It contains some meta-information e.g. how many memory blocks can be used for NDEF and how big the currently written NDEF message is. This block is automatically updated by the phone whenever NDEF is written, however it must be initially present to allow the phone to detect the tag as NDEF tag.
    For the RC-S965 you should write the following bytes to block 0 of the service 0x0009: 0x10, 0x04, 0x01, 0x00, 0x0D, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x18 (read/write only one block at a time, 5 blocks for NDEF, tag is writable).
    After that the phone should recognize the tag as an NDEF capable tag.
    Hope this helps.

Update: the first version of this post contained an error in the values for the attribute block - FeliCa lite allows 13 blocks for NDEF, not 5 as initially written (byte 4).
    Last edited by roehrle; 2012-05-14 at 13:21.

Hi and thanks for reply, I'll do that and get back as soon as I get it done. Thanks!

Yes, this was exactly what I needed to do. Big thanks, the Felica works now as any other NFC tag!

Quote Originally Posted by roehrle View Post
    Hi, after changing Byte 3 in Block 88h, you still need to write the 'Attribute Information Block' to the tag. The 'Attribute Information Block' is defined in the 'Type 3 Tag operation Specification' of the NFC Forum, which defines how to store NDEF on such tags. It contains some meta-information e.g. how many memory blocks can be used for NDEF and how big the currently written NDEF message is. This block is automatically updated by the phone whenever NDEF is written, however it must be initially present to allow the phone to detect the tag as NDEF tag.
    For the RC-S965 you should write the following bytes to block 0 of the service 0x0009: 0x10, 0x01, 0x01, 0x00, 0x05, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x18 (read/write only one block at a time, 5 blocks for NDEF, tag is writable).
    After that the phone should recognize the tag as an NDEF capable tag.
    Hope this helps.