Discussion Board

Qt Game Enabler vs Qt Games API

I want to port Cocos2D-x the GLES2 version that's being in development to devices supporting Qt (Symbian & N9 especially) and I'm curios what's the difference between the two API's and what would you recommend.

I was thinking using Qt Game Enabler but after finding out about Games API, I'm a little bit confused. Previously I wanted to port it on top of QGLWidget but that's pretty slow, I want to bypass that and use OpenGL ES 2.0 directly while still using many of the great Qt features. That's where Qt Game Enabler was supposed to come int. Now I see that there's yet another API the Qt Games API and again don't know what should I use. Also, I found references of this Games API only in Harmattan help, is this only a MeeGo supported API or is it available on Symbian also?

Regular Contributor

Re: Qt Game Enabler vs Qt Games API

Quote Originally Posted by moldovan_catalin View Post
    I want to bypass that and use OpenGL ES 2.0 directly while still using many of the great Qt features.
    What kinds of Qt features? GUI elements, or more things like the QVector etc?

No UI, jus Qt Core stuff, signals and slots and so on. The UI stuff is done entirely with OpenGL ES by the library. Cocos2dx is a game library that accelerates sprites and other 2d game elements by building on top of OpenGL ES. So what I want is to port it to Qt platform and not worry about being on Symbian or MeeGo, so I don't have to do two separate ports, one for Symbian and one for MeeGo.

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by moldovan_catalin View Post
    No UI, jus Qt Core stuff, signals and slots and so on. The UI stuff is done entirely with OpenGL ES by the library. Cocos2dx is a game library that accelerates sprites and other 2d game elements by building on top of OpenGL ES. So what I want is to port it to Qt platform and not worry about being on Symbian or MeeGo, so I don't have to do two separate ports, one for Symbian and one for MeeGo.
    In this case I would just go with the approach of the EPong game example, it gives you direct OpenGL access within the Qt framework. http://projects.developer.nokia.com/eponggame
    This runs on both symbian and meego.

Regular Contributor

Performance in Symbian^3 is already very good without any special API:s. From my tests the performance in strict QPainter calls is as fast as using OpenGL.

If you want to make 2D games for commercially available devices, I would either write the game with QML or use QMainWindow, implement a tick method and paint your stuff in PaintEvent().
    You will get a very good 2D performance on most Symbian^3 devices with this.

The Cocos2D-X OpenGL ES 2.0 port currently is not finished. If you intend to port that to Qt, then it is going to be a lot of work.