Discussion Board

how to get continuous location

my midlet giving me location properly
    but how to redirect it to get continuous position like nokia inbuilt gps without redundantly asking for permission??
    if possible give code link
    thank you

Super Contributor

Re: how to get continuous location

Do you have capability in your code if you use Symbian device? If you use Qt then in pro or in Carbide mmp file there should be capability, you can check wiki there are many topics on this or take any location example code and check that

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by mahbub_s60 View Post
    Do you have capability in your code if you use Symbian device? If you use Qt then in pro or in Carbide mmp file there should be capability, you can check wiki there are many topics on this or take any location example code and check that
    The original poster said "midlet", mahbub_s60.

Nokia Developer Expert

Hi siddhesh304,

There are many ways to reduce the prompts when listening continuously to location updates by using the location API (JSR-179) in Java ME.

1. Codewise: You can use a LocationListener instead of calling the getLocation method inside a repeating loop. The setLocationListener and the getLocation are protected method calls, thus it is likely they will generate a security prompt (depending on your device and platform). But the difference is that, the getLocation method is called continuously inside a loop, while the setLocationListener, is only called once and then you receive the location updates through the locationUpdated method. So the security prompts can be reduced to only one, by modifying your code to use the setLocationListener. You can find more information about the difference of these two methods and sample codes in this Wiki article:

http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...s_with_Java_ME

2. Manually by modifying the application access for location (and network if you are using GPS assisted location retrievals). You can find more information on how to do that here:
    http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...on_real_phones

Keep in mind that depending on your device and platform, you might not be able to manually modify the access level to "Always Allowed" which practically eliminates any prompts unless you sign your application.

3. By signing your application. The default behavior of your application after signing depends on the device/platform as specified in the section "API access settings on real phones" of the link above, so you might not eliminate entirely the security prompts, but most likely you will reduce them. Also by signing the application, it might be possible to select the "Always Allowed" security level that is not otherwise selectable (again depending on the platform). More information about signing here:
    http://library.developer.nokia.com/i...1141E036C.html