Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question [moved] Phone hangs for 15s after closing IAP app?

Hey, I have tried this example (http://projects.developer.nokia.com/...asing_barebone) and wanted to adapt that to my app, but noticed that after closing the app, the app hangs for about 15 seconds. Why is that, what can be done to prevent this, it's not optimal thing if phone is unusable for 15 seconds after you close the app.

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: [moved] Phone hangs for 15s after closing IAP app?

hi jkosonen

i've re-checked iap_barebone project on N8 111.030.0609 and don't see the delay on the application exit. From the code there is not seemingly reason for any delay on exit. Is it possible your modification has introduced such effect ? Please let me know more information on the issue you observe.

Regards
    izinin

Quote Originally Posted by izinin View Post
    hi jkosonen

i've re-checked iap_barebone project on N8 111.030.0609 and don't see the delay on the application exit. From the code there is not seemingly reason for any delay on exit. Is it possible your modification has introduced such effect ? Please let me know more information on the issue you observe.

Regards
    izinin
    Hey, I tried the example without modification with two phones, Nokia C7 Belle & Nokia N8 Belle, I use the app for a while, go to in-app purchase dialog and close the app,
    when opened from homescreen, I need to wait 15s until I can change the homescreen to another. Or if I want to launch other apps from the homescreen.

So it can't be any modification, and since I got it reproduced in two different phones I don't think it's because of the phone.

Nokia Developer Moderator

There is a difference between "phone hangs for 15s" and "application exits for 15s", a quick check could be pressing the Menu button (once for checking if the phone is alive at all or twice for checking the Home screen) during the 15s wait.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard_hu_ View Post
    There is a difference between "phone hangs for 15s" and "application exits for 15s", a quick check could be pressing the Menu button (once for checking if the phone is alive at all or twice for checking the Home screen) during the 15s wait.
    Yes, I know. The application exits, and I can see the homescreen, but I can use it after 15 seconds. so the phone hangs for 15s

e.g after I close the app and I'm in the home screen, it takes 15 seconds until the clock widget starts to moving again.
    Last edited by jkosonen; 2012-02-21 at 18:17.

Nokia Developer Expert

indeed 15 secs is a big delay. However to reproduce your problem the error case condition is not clear --- "...when opened from homescreen..." -- do you launch it from standard application bar? What else special coditions in your test case? Can you confirm the problem is not seen when launching application from Application manager right after device re-booting?

Nokia Developer Moderator

Let us try again. Exit the application and press the Menu button twice. Then check if the Home screen you get to is responsive.

Rationale: if an application is stuck on exiting, it does not draw anything any more, however it still has a full screen window with the focus. The Home screen and anything else can be seen through that window, but they do not get the events, because the non-responsive window gets them. At least this is the case for Symbian C++ applications, and Qt on Symbian builds on the same environment at some level.

I definately get faster response if I keep clicking the Menu button.

And my use case it that I have short link of the app in my home screen.
    It still is little hanging if started from menu, but maybe not as much when started from home screen.

Nokia Developer Expert

Hi

There may be an issue, To identify the problem location whether it is IAP engine or application client implementation could you re-check the problem with minimal IAP implementation in QML application --- installation package as well as source code is available here.

Hi

There may be an issue, To identify the problem location whether it is IAP engine or application client implementation could you re-check the problem with minimal IAP implementation in QML application --- installation package as well as source code is available here.
    I get connection error, but I still get the same hanging experience after clicking second time.

edit: And for the record, if I try to open some other app and close it, I don't get that effect.

http://www.jiikoo.com/iap2.avi

So here is a video from my friend so you can see what I mean, so it's not just my phones.

Nokia Developer Expert

i see the problem --- will come up soon with some thoughts

what about checking with minimal IAP implementation in QML application ? // here is already made package // just check please
    Hmm, what you mean, I already said that same happens with that. And that video is taken from that app?

i see the problem --- will come up soon with some thoughts
    Do you think that there will be easy fix for this, or should I just make two different versions for free/premium?

Nokia Developer Expert

Hi

The latest news from first hands are bad : on SR1 (belle) or SR2 environment task switch system is changed and after application exit it will switch to next process. Even if process is not listed in task switcher it switches to iapengine.exe process. This process have exit timeout (~20s) after last client is disconnect. This process consumes all touch events.

You can make delay before application exit showing busy indication --- that would be reasonable device behavior from user point of view --- from the other hand dev team is fixing the bug in future IAP version. New IAP version will be just announced since no application re-build is required.

Anyway please have a look on delay proposal implementation --- installation package is also available -- so you can quick check how it looks. I hardcoded delay in 21 seconds.

However the problem is not seen in Application manager --- you can scroll the app grid right after your app exit.

Regards,
    izinin