Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Qt Widgets for Belle

Hi folks,

Are there any guides regarding creation of homescreen widgets for Belle (preferably using Qt of course)?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: Qt Widgets for Belle

Hi

There is no problem to implement home screen in WRT widget. It is quite strait forward and just matter of an option in New Project master in Nokia Web Tool.

As for Qt / QML implementation -- it is not much easy. There was HomeScreen widget publisher API for S60 5th edition but it is not public API any more on the later Symbian platform versions. However there is HomeScreen widget for QT project that tries to employ that non-public API. Because it is non-public i don't recommend you to follow it.

I see here is only approach as to create WRT HomeScreen widget that will launch main Qt/QML application. Please check JavaScript widget object -- widget.openApplication(uid, "") introduced since WRT 1.0. also here http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...ed_application.

You will face the problem about how to make installation package that will include Qt application and HomeScreen WRT widget. HomeScreen WRT widget installation requires special WRT installer. So you will need third component in your installation package to install WRT widget. How to create WRT widget installer and include it in the main installation package, please check APIBridge SDK

Regular Contributor

Thank you for useful reply, izinin! Do you know, if there are any plans to provide classes to create widgets using Qt? It's really a bit strange that there is no way to implement key feature of Belle using main Symbian SDK.

Nokia Developer Expert

Hi

i would not wait for the API to come. Try mentioned approach it is not so scare as it looks at first glance . The main problem i see is in installation package implementation that would include WRT installer -- but the solution does exist in APIBridge SDK as a code template.

I used WRT installer in combined application consisted of ECOM plugin extension to APIBridge, Qt ui-less server in Symbian client server architecture and WRT widget. Resulting the application installation package i sucessfully gone through OVI publishing process -- that was done for testing purposes, the project link is here