Discussion Board

How to Lock the phone (keyboard) and use pass to log on ?

I' writing an app about lock the phone, but i want to when i unlock it i have to input the password. Can u give some way to solve it ? I can lock the phone but i don't know how to set password for it. Help me ... Thanks for reply.
    BR,
    Anomo!

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: How to Lock the phone (keyboard) and use pass to log on ?

Basically the devices own lock (not key lock but the actual device lock with password) does not have public APIs that could be utilized for using it. Also AFAIK devices with TARM are not offerign any 3rd party API for setting password, or changing it. Anyway, if you are using your own lock screen, then of course it is upto you on how you would store and use the password, though do remember that locking screen & keypad is not enough, you would also need to block Bluetooth & USB etc.

Quote Originally Posted by symbianyucca View Post
    Basically the devices own lock (not key lock but the actual device lock with password) does not have public APIs that could be utilized for using it. Also AFAIK devices with TARM are not offerign any 3rd party API for setting password, or changing it. Anyway, if you are using your own lock screen, then of course it is upto you on how you would store and use the password, though do remember that locking screen & keypad is not enough, you would also need to block Bluetooth & USB etc.
    Can u say it more clearly plz? I can't figure it. Can u give some codes to show how to lock screen, keypad or bluetooth? By the way, i'm developing my app on s60v3 (it's qwerty )

For key locking you could try out RAknKeyLock, also please do search our wiki for examples and this discussion board for older discussions. Also you need to specify on what you are actually doing and how, as well as in details on what problems you are having. otherwise it is pretty hard to find any solutions for you.

Also it would be good if you separate different problems in different threads, so we would know in each thread on what it is about, and which problems have been solved already.

Quote Originally Posted by symbianyucca View Post
    For key locking you could try out RAknKeyLock, also please do search our wiki for examples and this discussion board for older discussions. Also you need to specify on what you are actually doing and how, as well as in details on what problems you are having. otherwise it is pretty hard to find any solutions for you.

Also it would be good if you separate different problems in different threads, so we would know in each thread on what it is about, and which problems have been solved already.
    Thanks! but i try RAknKeyLock and i only lock my phone without password. So if I want to lock my phone with pass, how will i do ?

check the #2, i.e. there is no public APIs for this.

As SymbianYucca said, you can not use Device's Own Security Services, you have to imply your own GUI. I mean you have to provide your own User Interface that provides facility of PhoneLock with Password as defined by you.
    Basically System applications runs with highest priority, So you have to disable device's Key Lock facility to provide your App as First Screen Interface in which you can ask them to enter the password to unlock your app. (This is the Simple Logic what I can suggest you).
    Beside this you have to create a background server application which can able analyse device's events like pressing of key-combination, ideal phone activity time-out, etc., and based on these activities, react to lock and unlock your devices.

I recommend you to read old forum-discussion post and Wiki's Articles in 'Community' Menu.