Discussion Board

MIDlet receiving SMSes from specific mobile number instead of port number

Hello everyone,

From what I understand a MIDlet can only receive SMSes sent to a specific port number it is listening on, whereas normal (port 0) SMSes are directed to the handset’s Inbox. Is there any way for a MIDlet to receive SMSes based on the sender’s phone number, instead of port number?

The reason I'm asking is because the MIDlet I'm working on needs to receive SMSes sent from an SMS Modem, which doesn't allow me to specify the port number.

Thanks

Super Contributor

Re: MIDlet receiving SMSes from specific mobile number instead of port number

No can do, I'm afraid. You need to switch the SMS Modem to something else (so that you can send SMS to a specific port), or you need to change the target phones to something else (that does not require you to use J2ME so that you can access or intercept port 0 SMS), or you need to set up a different mechanis to communicate that's not dependent on SMS (e.g., HTTP and polling by the phones).

Nokia Developer Moderator

You may want to check if the SMS modem supports something like "PDU mode". That way you could specify the port as I remember.

Many thanks for the replies petrib and wizard_hu_. It seems as if the SMS modem doesn't support PDU mode either, so I'll have to use packet-data instead of SMS in the J2ME application.

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Infms View Post
    Hello everyone,

From what I understand a MIDlet can only receive SMSes sent to a specific port number it is listening on, whereas normal (port 0) SMSes are directed to the handset’s Inbox. Is there any way for a MIDlet to receive SMSes based on the sender’s phone number, instead of port number?

The reason I'm asking is because the MIDlet I'm working on needs to receive SMSes sent from an SMS Modem, which doesn't allow me to specify the port number.

Thanks
    Here is work around, on the server side - instead of putting a SMS Modem, put a basic J2me phone - deploy a midlet on this phone - which connects to the server and keeps a socket open to listen for commands over WiFi / USB, and then send the required SMS on specific port numbers to the clients.
    thanks,
    ~Amitabh
    (Champion of the Month -Aug'13)
    Follow me on my blog for Innovative Mobile Apps

Interesting idea! I will definitely look into this. Thanks.