Discussion Board

Question Flashing Lumia 800 with non-branded image

Hello everyone,

I am an experienced iOS developer just starting to take my first steps with Nokia and Windows Phone development. The device I am using has a "carrier branded" version of Windows Phone from Vodafone Ireland.

As there is no such thing as branded versions of iOS, I was wondering if its possible to install the standard non-branded version of Nokia's WP 7.5 onto the device? The device is a Lumia 800 and has been registered as a development device with Microsoft App Hub.

I've searched the forums for some guidance on this but found nothing.

Cheers,
    /Damien
    Last edited by dglancy; 2012-03-04 at 18:39.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Flashing Lumia 800 with non-branded image

You could contact Nokia care for assitance, though I think that you can not change to non-branded from branded one.

Thanks for the suggestion- I've made contact with Nokia Care- hopefully they can help.

They came back quickly: nope, nothing they can do.

Super Contributor

If the device is for development purposes, and works for that (you can install, run and debug your apps on it), does it matter much that it has some operator customization? Or is the operator customization/branding preventing you from using it as a development device?

No at the moment it is not preventing me from doing anything. Perhaps its more a mindset change (coming from iOS) needed on my part. For example, its my understanding that if Nokia/Microsoft release a patch (do they release patches to developers early like Apple?) that I wouldn't be in a position to install that onto my device to test my applications until my operator (really slow) gets around to publishing their branded version of the patch. Perhaps, I am misunderstanding or overstating the problem!

Thanks again,
    Damien

Nokia Developer Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by dglancy View Post
    No at the moment it is not preventing me from doing anything. Perhaps its more a mindset change (coming from iOS) needed on my part. For example, its my understanding that if Nokia/Microsoft release a patch (do they release patches to developers early like Apple?) that I wouldn't be in a position to install that onto my device to test my applications until my operator (really slow) gets around to publishing their branded version of the patch. Perhaps, I am misunderstanding or overstating the problem!

Thanks again,
    Damien
    Thats not necessarily true. The latest patch for Lumia 800 (post 11500) is being released in some branded phones in Asia countries (vodafone i believe?). I have an unbranded phone and I didnt got the update yet.

I would thin also that unbranded phones should get the update first, but there must be a reason for this phased roll-out.

Cheers