Discussion Board

setting up mobility for qt < 4.7

hello all,

i am targetting symbian devices from symbian^1 onwards. i will be making extensive use of the qt mobilitiy api (pref v 1.2 +) while researching for support, i came across this page: link 1 as per which (or misconstrued by me), mobility 1.2.1 will run with qt 4.7.3 on symbian^1.

however, the page at link2 only says that qt 4.6 + is required. if that is the case, then as per the first link, qt mobility should be supported all the way back till s60 3rd ed fp 1.

can anyone tell me which one is correct?

to test it out, i downloaded the nokia sdk 1.2. which, after install, i realised is for qt 4.8. thus, i downloaded sdk 1.1.2. this installed qt mobility 1.1.2 (i think) and qt 4.6.3 and qt 4.7.3.

i tried help>start updater to try and get mobility 1.2 for qt 4.6.3 and instead, the updater only shows the following:

mobility 1.0.4 for qt 4.6.3
    mobility 1.1.3 for qt 4.7.3
    mobility 1.2.1 for qt 4.7.4
    (and some variants)

there is one more entry "QT mobility APIs" which shows the installed version as 1.1.3 and new version as 1.2.0 - but does not specify which version of qt this is for and there is no information.

tl;dr:

how can i enable qt mobility 1.2 for qt 4.7.3 (qt 4.6.3 would be nice too) in qt creator?

thanks for the help

///edit

after some searching, i found the qt mobility 1.2 beta release package here

i'm downloading the symbian specific package. will run it and update with details. hopefully this will help somebody else stumbling through this maze.

some more searching yields this page as per which,

"Mobility 1.2 requires Qt 4.7.0 as a minimum."

is there no authoritative source that i can refer to?
    Last edited by hsn22; 2012-03-07 at 09:12.

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: setting up mobility for qt < 4.7

Hi

QMobility is bundled with Qt version. There is no way to point mobility version to use in project profile --- CONFIG += mobility.

Theoretically you can hack on qmake but the problem is -- you must deploy Qt and QMobility on device by using smartinstaller otherwise you cannot publish your application on OVI Store -- i.e your application package must not embed system component dependency.

So if your app has to support Symbian^1 and Symbian^3 , use Qt 4.6.3 or conditional compilation for features that are not supported on lover add-on version

Quote Originally Posted by izinin View Post
    So if your app has to support Symbian^1 and Symbian^3 , use Qt 4.6.3 or conditional compilation for features that are not supported on lover add-on version
    hey izinin. thank you for your reply. if i am to understand correctly, using qt 4.6.3 (and hence mobility 1.0.3) will allow me to target s^1 as well as s^3? but doesn't this page tell me that i can use 4.7.3 (and mobility 1.1.3) with smartinstaller on these platforms?

i think my original question was not framed correctly. my question was whether i can use qt 4.7.3 and mobility 1.2 for targetting s^1 and s^3. i seem to keep finding resources that say different things.

if yes, i will use qt sdk 1.1.2 and download the mobility 1.2 package for symbian and install the libraries. then i can develop using qt 4.7.3 (and mobility 1.2) and deploy on s^1 and s^3 using smartinstaller.

am i correct in thinking this way or am i missing some link somewhere?

Nokia Developer Expert

Hi

You need qt sdk 1.1.2 to cover Symbian^1 and Symbian^3. You cannot download QMobility separately, whatever version it will be, and setup it on top of your development environment because you cannot publish such application. Qt dependency on QMobility is made on smart installer server side that is why i am saying Qt and QMobility are bundled.

Now i think use of conditional compilation for Symbian^1 and Symbian^3 targets is not real option. The best approach in choosing development environment is use standard one.

What features from QMobility 1.2 do you miss in QMobility 1.0.3 ? Think about workaround --- moreover QMobility source code is available and you can just adopt already made solutions to your project.

hey izinin. thanks for your reply again. i think i should have been more upfront - i'm very new to qt development and am still trying to wrap my head around it.

so, smartinstaller downloads the files from the server and installs qt (and mobility, webkit etc) from the server for that particular os version? therefore, when smartinstaller runs on s^1, it'll download qt 4.7.3 and mobility 1.1.3. same way, on s^3, it'll get qt 4.7.4 and mobility 1.2.1?

therefore, for me to target s^1 and s^3, i need to find the base 1.1.3 and make sure to develop for that. then, even though ill miss out on the features of 1.2, it'll still run (hopefully without modification) on both s^1 and s^3. (i'm skipping s60 and sticking only to symbian)

why are the mobility libraries available as a download then? such as here ? i thought this was so that i could do this for example: download sdk 1.1.2, download qt mobility 1.2 libraries, and develop using qt 4.7.3 and mobility 1.2, targetting s^1 and s^3. i guess this has been an incorrect assumption.

thanks for your help!

Nokia Developer Expert

Hi

so, smartinstaller downloads the files from the server and installs qt (and mobility, webkit etc) from the server for that particular os version? therefore, when smartinstaller runs on s^1, it'll download qt 4.7.3 and mobility 1.1.3. same way, on s^3, it'll get qt 4.7.4 and mobility 1.2.1?
    ---- correct

therefore, for me to target s^1 and s^3, i need to find the base 1.1.3 and make sure to develop for that. then, even though ill miss out on the features of 1.2, it'll still run (hopefully without modification) on both s^1 and s^3. (i'm skipping s60 and sticking only to symbian)
    -- just download Qt SDK 1.1.2 and you will get all in one.

why are the mobility libraries available as a download then?....
    ---- please pay your attention that link is to Lab --- also considering the fact Qt is open source you can easily hack on it -- but your hack based application cannot be distributed through OVI Store. So hack or not to hack depends on your application purpose --- i assumed your application targets OVI store -- so forgive me that inclination in my advice

hello izinin,

thank you for your replies till now. i appreciate your help. i have stumbled across a page that has caused me more confusion and sort of contradicts what you've said.

link

Under the title "Developing Applications Using Qt 4.6.3 or Qt 4.7.3 for Symbian", the configurations available for development for sdk 1.1.2 show only qt 4.6.3 for s^1 and s^3 and qt 4.7.3 for s^3 and anna.

i thought 1.1.2 would allow qt4.7.3 for s^1, as per this page.

is there no authorotative resource that i can query for this information? or maybe a book that i can refer to?

thanks for all your help.

Nokia Developer Expert

Hi

I have not seen better summary tables about Qt SDK that those you have posted. I installed SDK 1.1.2 and checked available targets. 4.6.3 is missing in SDK 1.1.2. I don't have any idea what is the reason of that documentation mismatch. SDK 1.1.2 has targets Qt 4.7.3 for Symbian^1 and Symbian^3 so i conclude it suits you well since you are targeting Symbian devices from Symbian^1 onwards.

SDK could be repackaged keeping the same version that might be the reason of that mess. Anyway i think SDK 1.1.2 is good for you