Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Question waiting for completion

How can i make a non active object class wait for an active request to complete? when i used cactivescheduler wait it paincked with cbase91 (This panic is raised by CActiveSchedulerWait::Start() when the CActiveSchedulerWait object has already been started.
    )

but I wonder who has called the start !!

My situation is like this

void CNonActiveclass::ReadFromSock( buffer ) // has no active scheduler for this thread
    {
    iEngine->Read(buf);

}

void CEngine::Read(buffer)
    {
    iSockreader->read(buf);
    }

void CSockReader::Read(buf)// Cactive class

{

if( !IsActive() )
    {
    iSocket.Read( buf, iStatus );
    SetActive();
    }
    }

Now I want to block the CNonActiveclass:: ReadFromSock () from finishing till the CSockReader::Read has been handled. so what should i Do?
    I tried a wait in

void CNonActiveclass::ReadFromSock( buffer ) // has no active scheduler for this thread
    {
    iEngine->Read(buf);
    cactivesheulerwait :.start(); this panicked after setactive was called in CSockReader::Read(buf)

}

can any one suggest something?

-J
    Last edited by julie_777; 2012-03-07 at 09:13.

Regular Contributor

Re: waiting for completion

CSockReader is in a different thread ... i think it wont matter and the painic happens in iWait.Start();

Regular Contributor

I allocated CActiveSchedulerWait oh heap now the panic changed from 91 to 46! but I wonder how this can be a stray signal! i have a installed an activescheduler for this class now

Nokia Developer Moderator

Important thing: objects do not belong to threads. If you create an object in thread1, but invoke its dosomething() in thread2, dosomething() will run in thread2.
    Also, CActiveSchedulerWait requires an installed CActiveScheduler, check its Start/Stop method in the documentation and its reference to E32USER-CBase 44.
    If you do not get this panic, your code is actually running in a totally different thread (probably the UI thread), than what you expect (in the comments you write about 2 threads, both of them having no active scheduler).

Regular Contributor

oki thanks ... now I realized the flaw. now I want a thread that can be in a wait loop till some buffer is filled for writing , can i achieve this this active objects? like main thread fills data to a buffer/Q the other thread which has an active obj polls the Q for data and writes! can i use some other trigger instead of polling in a loop to trigger writes?

Nokia Developer Moderator

You can use RSemaphore/RMutex for signalling when something is ready. It is also possible to manually complete iStatus from an other thread (or in fact, from any thread), just you will need RThread::RequestComplete (see #19 of http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...s-with-CActive for this one)