Discussion Board

Player Pooling Problem

Is there a possible solution to avoid random lags when playing two MIDI concurrently?
    My phone supports player pooling and i followed the guide in nokia documentation in playing two midi at the same time. When no player is active, game runs smoothly. The same thing when one player is running, but when i add adnother player like SFX for shooting random lags occurs.

Regular Contributor

Re: Player Pooling Problem

Hi balubad,

Here are couple of tips when using audio mixing.

1. The players in the pool are Realized and Prefetched. This speeds up the starting of players.

2. Try different media files to see if it makes a difference. Processing power requirements for a player vary depending on the content type.

3. Use different content types when playing two players at the same time. Simultaneous playback of two players with the same content roughly doubles the needed processing power; therefore, it might not be viable to mix multiple players of the same format.

4. Close the players only when you don't need them anymore.

-tiviinik

Re: Player Pooling Problem

Quote Originally Posted by tiviinik View Post
    Hi balubad,

Here are couple of tips when using audio mixing.

1. The players in the pool are Realized and Prefetched. This speeds up the starting of players.

2. Try different media files to see if it makes a difference. Processing power requirements for a player vary depending on the content type.

3. Use different content types when playing two players at the same time. Simultaneous playback of two players with the same content roughly doubles the needed processing power; therefore, it might not be viable to mix multiple players of the same format.

4. Close the players only when you don't need them anymore.

-tiviinik
    Thanks for your reply. I've already tried suggestion #1 and #4 its a random lag for about I think 500ms, 200ms something like that. In a 90 seconds game play it may occur about 10 times. I think its ok when playing it in single player mode. But when in 2player mode it loses its sync.

I have a BGM size of 17KB and a gun MIDI having a size of 87 bytes. And I'm using 5320XM and 5730XM hard formatted.

I'll try to mix a .WAV and MIDI and see if it makes difference.