Discussion Board

Question Quick poll: Developing for Nokia Lumia (Windows Phone) with iOS skills wiki?

Hi folks,

Just a quick question/poll!

I am a reasonably experienced iOS developer (work full time on iOS until recently) and I am now moving to Nokia/Windows Phone development.

I've been documenting/taking notes of my lessons learnt along the way.

I'm just wondering if people in this community feel there would be any interest/demand if I put in some extra time and started a section of the Wiki on developing for Windows Phone from an iOS perspective. Articles like what's the UIView in Windows Phone. What does a UILabel look like, etc?

Is the wiki used by people here (it seems fairly empty of Windows Phone) content? Are there many iOS developers within this community?

Interested in your opinions?

Cheers,
    /Damien
    Last edited by dglancy; 2012-03-14 at 09:15. Reason: typo

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Quick poll: Developing for Nokia Lumia (Windows Phone) with iOS skills wiki?

Articles of Porting apps from other platforms to Nokia used platforms would always be a great idea, so if you have any material, please do add them into our wiki.

Re: Quick poll: Developing for Nokia Lumia (Windows Phone) with iOS skills wiki?

Would love to see that Damien. And would also like to know what made you change, and what type of apps you eher building on iOS and your plans to Windows Phone

Cool, I'll get working on some articles then.

Quote Originally Posted by joaocardoso View Post
    Would love to see that Damien. And would also like to know what made you change, and what type of apps you eher building on iOS and your plans to Windows Phone
    Well I certainly won't be dropping iOS completely as its a very significant platform and I love the Mac/iOS environment. For me, I've been looking around for a second platform to get involved with. Android should be an obvious choice especially as I used to be a corporate Java developer. But there is just something "me-too" about the Android that I find hard to get excited about. Blackberry could be an interesting choice, but I work closely with RIM on upcoming BB10 platform in another capacity so I want to keep things separate there.

So that brings me to Windows Phone and Nokia. I see this as more developing for Nokia using Windows Phone, rather than developing for Microsoft (although I know that is what it really is). As an Dublin based Irish guy, I like the idea of developing for a European based smartphone manufacturer. My wife is a corporate .NET developer and so we are working on this project together (first time working on a computing project together!). It all really clicks for me at this point.

The Windows Phone emphasis on content over flashy design really spoke volumes to me. Yes, the uptake on Nokia/Windows Phone has yet to reach any critical mass and there is a strong risk that the uptake will be disappointing. But I write apps for joy and Windows Phone is the only platform outside of iOS that gives me that sense today. Many of my iOS/Mac developer friends all speak highly of Windows Phone/Nokia. In our opinion its the platform to watch.

For info as an example of an iOS app that I wrote and is quite popular is PicStroom. Check out a short video of it on http://www.picstroom.com. I'd be interested in your thoughts!

/Damien

Hi Damien

Just to confirm, yes we're always happy for articles porting between Nokia platforms (WP to Qt etc) and from non-Nokiaplatforms to Nokia platforms. Just remember to add Category:Porting and the categories for both your target platforms to the article.

While we do accept "pure" windows phone articles on the wiki I have tried to discourage anything but truly new, well written and innovative articles. This is because there are lots of great resources on MSDN and I don't want to have copyright issues with MSDN or poor topics covering the same material. Hope that makes sense.

For some ideas have a look at wiki articles on Qt to Windows Phone, and also the iOS to Qt porting library: http://www.developer.nokia.com/Resou...ios-to-qt.html

Regards
    Hamish
    (Community Services Manager for Wiki)

Hi Hamish,

Totally understand, will do my best to keep them any articles both high quality and relevant -- and they will definitely be written by myself so no risk of copyright issues. Basically, I plan on trying to put together content that I would like to see coming from the iOS platform. MSDN while a great source of info, is totally focused on the Windows platform.

I'll send you a PM when I have any content up (currently just starting to put it together) and you can decide if its ok or take it down if you're not happy.

Cheers,
    Damien

BTW> I hadn't noticed that iOS -> Qt series of case studies. Good stuff, thanks for pointing me towards those.

Quote Originally Posted by dglancy View Post
    MSDN while a great source of info, is totally focused on the Windows platform.
    That said, this resource from Microsoft is a really good source of info....

http://windowsphone.interoperability...ion-developers

For info as an example of an iOS app that I wrote and is quite popular is PicStroom. Check out a short video of it on http://www.picstroom.com. I'd be interested in your thoughts!

/Damien
    That looks like a cool app that would make a huge success if you ported it to Windows Phone Damien. Love the UI and the concept.

Ahhh Dublin. It was almost my second home for a few years. I have a customer there and I go regularly to Dublin. Love to walk on Grafton St., O'Connol St. and St. Stephens Green. And of course Temple Bar.

The next time I travel there I'll let you know. I'm sure that one f the best ways to discuss Windows Phone projects is with a couple Guiness pints on the table

Quote Originally Posted by joaocardoso View Post
    That looks like a cool app that would make a huge success if you ported it to Windows Phone Damien. Love the UI and the concept.

Ahhh Dublin. It was almost my second home for a few years. I have a customer there and I go regularly to Dublin. Love to walk on Grafton St., O'Connol St. and St. Stephens Green. And of course Temple Bar.

The next time I travel there I'll let you know. I'm sure that one f the best ways to discuss Windows Phone projects is with a couple Guiness pints on the table
    That's for the complements re: PicStroom -- it was a labour of love :-) For sure, if you're ever in Dublin, I'd love to meet up!

I'll send you a PM when I have any content up (currently just starting to put it together) and you can decide if its ok or take it down if you're not happy.
    Thanks very much. I'm always happy to see new good content.