Discussion Board

How to apply patch to existing application

I have an application which will be generic,

I want that user can customize my application as per his/her requirement via downloading some files (Patch files) via internet and can get the application customize as per his own way.
    This will perfectly work when Generic application is already present on device and user is downloading patch files.

My question is how can I know at any time (downloading, installing) patch files that generic application is present on user's device or not?

One more thing this patch file should be added/updated to the application's private directory. Is it possible?

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: How to apply patch to existing application

Quote Originally Posted by boletushar View Post
    My question is how can I know at any time (downloading, installing) patch files that generic application is present on user's device or not?
    Easiest way would probably be opening the download site only from the application itself, and when opening it, giving some Url arguments identifying the application, version, language etc. anything you need on determining what should be present for the application to download.

And if you get invalid stuff with the url, then just let the user download the base application

Yes If that is the case then no problem,

These customized patches will be different for different purpose and will be downloaded within/outside(Via browser) of base application.
    my question is while installing these patches can I come to know the base application is installed or not. Or even after installation.

you could use for example Requisite Lines : http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...e_File_Options or use the if exists with a file that is in public folders and is installed with main file.

or even have executable run during installation , which would check whether the app exists, and maybe it could even offer downloading the app, if it is not found.

Possibly revealing remark: there are separate patch and upgrade package types, and such packages can not be installed without having the base application.

Hello,

Thanks symbianyucca link you provided really helped me a lot. I also wanted to ask few question,
    1) Can I launch browser and open app download link from my package file? Or need to run exe which will launch the browser with specified url.
    2) @Wizard_hu_ - Kindly explain separate patch and upgrade package types I didn't get that. Does it mean changing package header or something.

Open documentation, http://library.developer.nokia.com/
    Search patch upgrade
    Check first hit in the list, "Upgrade types", it describes which does what. Otherwise yes, they are package types, so reading the hit "Package header" is also a good idea, it appears somewhere lower in the list, and also referenced as related reading in the other page.

Thanks wizard_hu_
    TYPE=SP really solved the problem.
    Installer itself gives the error that base application is not installed, and if base application is present I can update/add files in private directory of base application.
    Only problem is Patch installation ask the installation drive while installing itself which should be forcefully in base application drive.

If base app is not present can I launch the browser from package file to download the base application.

Quote Originally Posted by boletushar View Post
    Installer itself gives the error that base application is not installed, and if base application is present I can update/add files in private directory of base application.
    Actually you can not update, only add.
    Only problem is Patch installation ask the installation drive while installing itself which should be forcefully in base application drive.
    Based on this requirement and the previous mentioning of updating files, you may want to try TYPE=PU too.
    If base app is not present can I launch the browser from package file to download the base application.
    Unfortunately no, since the installation does not start at all. You can attempt implementing a wrapper-installer for handling such case, with similar functionality as Qt Smart Installer, but things are surely getting complicated here.

Suppose phone don't have memory card. When I tried to install patch first time I added a abcd.txt file in base application's private directory after that I installed new patch file with same abcd.txt file inside it with modified content and it successfully modified the file content.
    Package type was Type=SP.

It sounds strange to me. Thinking again, the drive-selection also sounds strange, my initial assumption would be that patch and upgrade do not ask for drive. It may be a good idea to delete the .sis/x files, and making sure that they are re-built correctly. Perhaps from a command line.

I tried with command line compilation as well but still the same result,

while keeping TYPE=SP i can add/modify the file in base application's private path.
    But keeping TYPE=PU giving me update error, Also as mentioned in upgrade rule I changed patch version higher than base applications version still result is same.

Package file for creating patch sis is,
    ; Installation file for ABCD application
    ;
    ; This is an auto-generated PKG file by Carbide.
    ; This file uses variables specific to Carbide builds that will not work
    ; on command-line builds. If you want to use this generated PKG file from the
    ; command-line tools you will need to modify the variables with the appropriate
    ; values: $(EPOCROOT), $(PLATFORM), $(TARGET)
    ;
    ;Language - standard language definitions
    &EN

; standard SIS file header
    #{"ABCD NEW"},(0xAPP__UID),1,01,61, TYPE=PU

;Localised Vendor name
    %{"ABCD creator"}

;Unique Vendor name
    :"ABCD creator"

;Supports Series 60 v 3.0
    [0x101F7961], 0, 0, 0, {"Series60ProductID"}

"..\gfx\baseappdwnld.txt"-"", FT, TC