Discussion Board

Nokia Developer Champion

Symbian Qt Quick Components UI guideline

Hi,
    I saw this UI guideline http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...mples_provided
    where it mentioned that

Back button is used to exit views and the app
    Now I have a question on this back button operation.

Let me give you a scenario :

When I launch the Ovi Store application it brings me the home page with a toolbar at the bottom. There is the Cross (X) button on the left of the toolbar. But when I click on any of the application to download a new page comes up and theCross(X) button changes to a Back(<--) button. When I click on the Back button it navigates to the previous page and once I am back to the home screen again I see the Cross(X) button. And to close the app I click the Cross(X) button.

Now according to the guideline , does it mean that we should NOT use Cross(X) button at all, rather there should be only one Back button, which should perform differently in different situations. Like when I am in Page2 and click the Back button it will bring me to the home screen and on home screen when I click on the Back button again it closes the application.

Regular Contributor

Re: Symbian Qt Quick Components UI guideline

This is correct, and this is how applications should work in Belle.
    Apparently there was some design choice that went against this in OVI Store.

Still for your application the recommended way is to use the Back arrow to make a consistent experience for the user.

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by teemup View Post
    This is correct, and this is how applications should work in Belle.
    Apparently there was some design choice that went against this in OVI Store.

Still for your application the recommended way is to use the Back arrow to make a consistent experience for the user.
    thank you, but there is not only one app (Ovi Store), I saw many third party app that has both cross and back button. My concern was to know whether both the button can be used or only back should be used in Belle UI design. I got my answer.

I will only use back button for page navigation and closing the application.

Thanks you again.

Nokia Developer Champion

Hi Teemup, I have one more question. In the new Symbian Guideline I don't see talking specifically on status bar, cause when I add tab bar on top then sometimes its looks odd due to color and style. I would like to know is it mendatory to add status bar according to new guideline.