Discussion Board

Standard CSV Formats out of nokia devices

I'm looking for the documentation of the export and import formats that come out of Nokia devices.

Like exporting the Contacts , SMS , calllog etc.

Anyone that know where the documentation is or can provide the correct columns or layout ?

Re: Standard CSV Formats out of nokia devices

How are you connected? There are several ways to get this lists. The easiest way is the (old) Nokia PC Suite which outputs CSV.
    Last edited by traud; 2012-04-22 at 16:27.

I don't own a nokia, i'm developing an application. I would like to support as many formats , i covered most email clients, but i only own 1 phone.

Then, I do not understand your question. What should a user do with your App and a Nokia? And how does a user use your app? If you like, you can use private messaging, if the public discussion board is not the right place to present your solution already.

You ask the Why question way to much, so there 's no nokia user around to post me the column headers ?

Nokia Developer Moderator

It is hard to answer a question what nobody really understands, that is the main problem here.
    Let us return to the beginning
    I'm looking for the documentation of the export and import formats that come out of Nokia devices.
    Nokia devices do not export any files...

...This is why Traud started guessing what you are doing, because it might be some file generated by PC/Ovi Suite, but you have not confirmed that, neither denied.
    There is also set of "PC Connectivity" API-s which enable accessing these data programmatically when the phone is connected to a Windows-based PC (https://www.developer.nokia.com/Reso...wnloads/Other/)

Thanks for picking it up like that, wizard. So the PC/Ovi Suite can export a CSV file when a nokia phone is connected by it ? What i would like to know is how those file(s) are build up.. And what are the possiblities of the PC/Ovi suite? can it export sms messages and contacts ? and can it import it too ?

Oh and maby i was unclear, i don't own a Nokia phone , but an android =) The App now is for an Android, but how should the Exported CSV from that App look like to make it no big issue to import into an Nokia, with use of the pc /ovi suite. And vica versa, what is coming out the suite so i can add it later as an import format.

Hope my questions are clear now,
    Last edited by wiebren; 2012-03-21 at 23:09.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Your question is pretty clear now, it is unfortunate that there are no answers so far.

Here are some findings from my side, however there is nothing about CSV:
    - Nokia/Ovi Suite does not support exporting contacts (though it may still able to import them directly). A proposed workaround here, http://shadyboules.wordpress.com/201...kia-ovi-suite/, builds on the presence of Microsoft Outlook which can export CSV or perhaps other formats too. In this case the actual content depends more on Microsoft and Outlook than Nokia or the given device
    - an other thing is that the Contacts application on Symbian devices supports copying/backing up contacts to the mass storage device, in this case they are simply stored in standard .vcf format on e:\Other\Contact
    - for the messages part, Nokia/Ovi Suite appears to support exporting/importing to/from .csv file. However the given menu item is disabled for me all the time, and I have not found the solution for this problem on the net so far
    There is a magical way too, dissecting backups (files in .nbu format). This is not supported, but http://discussions.europe.nokia.com/...at/td-p/672561 mentions a couple utilities for this task, including free, open source ones.
    Last edited by wizard_hu_; 2012-03-30 at 19:18. Reason: CVS -> CSV (except in the link)

I've searched around a bit more with use of your findings wizard_hu, and its seems to be a common question: "how do i export with the ovi suite",
    In one thread i hear it was always possible with the desktop suite, another thread mentions the Nokia communication Center, that can run next to the ovi suite and is able to do it .

Anyone that can verifiy this ?

Rather than dealing with CSV, I would connect the Nokia to the Android via Bluetooth and use PBAP/MAP profiles. This way, the user does not need a computer at all and you are more compatible than ever. Anyway, I will look over this at the weekend. CSV worked for me in the old Nokia PC Suite in the past.
    Last edited by traud; 2012-04-22 at 16:28.

Bluetooth communication might be worth looking into , at a later stage, the benifit of having a CSV ofcourse are that you can have time between an export and an import, you can store it anywhere you want, and you don't need both phones operating.

It may be possible ofcourse that your old phone is totally destroyed and you made a backup earlier that you want to import.

OK, sorry, I got you know. You download the PC Suite » Icon Contacts = Communication Centre (C:\ProgramsNokia\Nokia PC Suite 7\CommunicationCentre.exe) » Menu » File » Export » File format: CSV. To enable this menu item, you have to select at least one entry. Menu » Edit » Select All (Strg+A) works as well.

Unfortunately, I installed the wrong language variant and the headings of the CSV file are not in English. I would have to change a bit here. Are you still interested?
    Last edited by traud; 2012-04-22 at 16:43.