Discussion Board

Hybrid View

How to conform with SymbianSignedTestCriteria for symbian C++ EXE/ sever apps ?

Dear All Ezxperts,

I have an application (Symbian C++ EXE without UI) with functionality :
    - auto-start on device boot up
    - auto-run after installation

i've got this :
    TEST 6 — Auto-start behaviour
    TEST STEPS
    With the application running, find the settings for the application — either within the application itself or from the settings option on the device.
    There must be an option which allows the user to enable/disable auto-start functionality.
    Ensure that the setting for auto-start behaviour is disabled, and restart the device.
    The application must not start on device boot.

Now change the setting so that auto-start behaviour is enabled for the application and restart the phone.
    The application must start when the phone boots.

Notes
    The User must always be in control.
    If the application does not have auto-start functionality, then this test does not need to be run.

anyone could help me how to conform whit this test criteria for server application above???

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: How to conform with SymbianSignedTestCriteria for symbian C++ EXE/ sever apps ?

Basically, you Must implement UI for changing the auto-start behavior, since the rules are stating that you must provide users means on disabling the auto-start options.

So either make UI application which users can start by clicking the UI, or utilize the settings framework to implement settings view, in which user can change the auto-start behavior.

In general the exe would always be executed in bootup, but you would simply first read the settings and then exit if settings are indicating that the auto-start is disabled.

Re: How to conform with SymbianSignedTestCriteria for symbian C++ EXE/ sever apps ?

Thanks symbianyucca, for the explanation.

my exe is an engine for MIDlet application. Is it possible if the control of auto-start from the MIDlet???
    for example:
    - Symbian exe has an option to enable/disable auto-start on instalation
    - the setting of auto-start Symbian Exe is on the MIDlet by writing enable/disable value into a specific file.

is it allowed by symbian sign criteria ??

Nokia Developer Moderator

Basically the rules simply state that user must be on control, so if you can make it in a way that user can control it from the Midlet, then by all means do it. Just make sure it does comply with the rules, and there is a way that user can always control the feature.

Thanks Symbianucca... i really apreciate your help.

Dear Symbianyucca and all symbian's expert,

about this problem, i got one possible solution, but i'm not sure it is allowed by symbian sign criteria or not. it is :
    - put this line into pkg of server app : "autostart.txt"-"", FT, TA --> (TEXTABORT)
    - it will display confirmation : "This application will run automatically after installation and on device reboot. User can not disable this feature except uninstall this application from Application Manager. Continue installation?"
    - if user press "YES", continue installation; "NO", Abort installation.

is it possible to conform with TEST 6 — Auto-start behaviour ??

Thanks.