Discussion Board

Problem Scaling a bitmap keeping Aspect Ratio

hi,
    So far I have found two ways to resize or scale a bitmap. One is asynchronous (CBitmapScaler::Scale()) and another is (FbsBitmap::Resize()). Both works fine if it does't keep Aspect Ratio. Keeping Aspect ration gives different output which is not expected. But I need a way to do it. Kindly help me.

Re: Problem Scaling a bitmap keeping Aspect Ratio

I am getting KErrNoMemory in CBitmapScaler::Scale(). I tried to convert bitmap (794 * 1123) to (1768 * 2376). May be it is huge.. but could you suggest any other alternatives ?

Nokia Developer Moderator

You need to define bigger Max Heap for your application, you are basically running out of the ma heap for the application. Or if you did increase that already, then you could also be running out of real RAM. anyway, once again, you could try my Y-Tasks, it has something called Trace which would allow you to monitor the device RAM usage, to see how it is sued.

anyway, as we don't have screen with that size, what would be the point of having such a huge image.

Actually I am not trying to show the image on screen. I have increased the heap size to 5MB MAX as you suggested. But still same error. I am currently running the program in emulator. While i tried to increase the heap size more to remove that error, but increasing more than that somehow don't let the program to run. Any way I have to test it on device and I have already Y Task. I have to test with "Trace".

basically you do need to remember that your color depth also increases the image memory usage, i.e. you actually need ((1768 * 2376) * 4) = 16803072, i.e 17 Mb at least, 20 would be better to be sure other parts also can be included there.

Quote Originally Posted by symbianyucca View Post
    basically you do need to remember that your color depth also increases the image memory usage, i.e. you actually need ((1768 * 2376) * 4) = 16803072, i.e 17 Mb at least, 20 would be better to be sure other parts also can be included there.
    Oh right. I forgot about the image depth. I am at first decoding an image file and loading in memory. At this time can i decrease the depth of the image? Actually I need only Black and White image from the beginning at the loading time.

I can not remember strait away which way these APIs are working, anyway, you could always try as well as read the API docs.