Discussion Board

N9 days numbered?

A few days ago Nokia closed the N9 bugtracker (http://harmattan-bugs.nokia.com/) without any prior announcement... since then I am seriously concerned about the future of the great N9.

Although Nokia promised support until 2015 I don't think this will really happen.

What do you think about the future of the N9 - is this the beginning of the end???

Was the PR1.2 the last "real" update and will PR1.3 ever come to reality?

Super Contributor

Re: N9 days numbered?

The N9 was known to be a one-of-a-kind product with no follow-up products coming before it started shipping, and that Nokia would stop trying to make MeeGo any kind of smartphone platform for the company.

There was a prior announcement a couple of weeks ago that accepting new bugs will stop. At least I remember seeing some such statement a while ago.

I don't recall seeing Nokia promising support until 2015 for the N9. Nokia have made some promises to support Symbian for a couple of years. Perhaps you're thinking of that promise?

According to this page http://nokiainnovation.com/2011/09/n...at-least-2015/
    Klas Ström, a nokia employee wrote a statement on twitter about the support of the N9....

Sad if this should not be the true anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by petrib View Post
    The N9 was known to be a one-of-a-kind product with no follow-up products coming before it started shipping, and that Nokia would stop trying to make MeeGo any kind of smartphone platform for the company.
    And why would that concern us customers who bought a N9? (at premium price, might I add) For most regions, this device is merely half a year available. With the release of PR1.2 the N9 is getting to "release quality" - there were really serious bugs and needed features lacking. I guess PR1.3 will make me bitterly happy; happy to get a great phone, bitter because after this PR1.3 I can't see anything new on the horizon.

However, in this day and age I'd expect to be able to update the OS and software for at least a year after purchase. Apple does it, (high end) Android does it, even Windows Phone does it. Hell, after a year I'd even pay for it!

There was a prior announcement a couple of weeks ago that accepting new bugs will stop. At least I remember seeing some such statement a while ago.
    I certainly haven't seen it either. Only a blog posting *after* the tracker was closed.

I don't recall seeing Nokia promising support until 2015 for the N9. Nokia have made some promises to support Symbian for a couple of years. Perhaps you're thinking of that promise?
    The "supported until 2015"-claim is well known in the community. Are we all wrong?

Yeah, nokia in sweden at least. (Klas Ström for one) promised loudly that the N9 would be supported until 2015 and Symbian would have support until 2016.
    This should be fairly well documented online as well.

This has nothing to do with us believing that the N9 would have successors and such, it's just nokia representatives promising stuff, and now on the nokia forum it sounds like "never heard of it.. won't happen".

Super Contributor

I have no idea who Klas Ström is, and in what capacity/role he has made promises on Twitter. I also do not work for Nokia so I don't know what the company's official position is regarding N9 support future, and where you might be able to get the final/official word.

All I know is that those people that I know at Nokia and who worked on maemo/MeeGo and the N9, they've either already left the company, are in the process of leaving the company, or have moved on to other things within the company. I also know that in the past few years, the firmware maintenance on Nokia models have usually been (some time after a product's release) moved to India.

(Retired) Nokia Developer Admin.

The beginning of the end is the day a product is released, no matter if it is a smartphone or a buggy whip. When I read the notice (from the Harmattan open source team not Nokia) it seems to say it will have another upgrade and it will take bug reports for major problems after that. So it looks like it has a solid future.

I assume that Nokia will have batteries and other parts that wear out in stock for several years after the last N9 is sold, I don't know why you assume differently.

half empty or half full ?

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by bliss911 View Post
    A few days ago Nokia closed the N9 bugtracker (http://harmattan-bugs.nokia.com/) without any prior announcement... since then I am seriously concerned about the future of the great N9.

Although Nokia promised support until 2015 I don't think this will really happen.

What do you think about the future of the N9 - is this the beginning of the end???

Was the PR1.2 the last "real" update and will PR1.3 ever come to reality?

Well thanks for commenting on this.
    However, I hope that Nokia continues to support this great product
    as they did with former Symbian devices...