Discussion Board

Faulty LCD on N950

hello everyone, firsttimer here.
    as the title says, im starting my posts in the community with not so happy news.

long story short: here's an image of what my N950 looks like today

It started off with a line few pixels long, and every morning i wake up, more pixels are dead from the screen
    the Machine holds a lot of my development data inside so i would rather not consider giving up on using it.
    Any chance to have it repaired ?

Re: Faulty LCD on N950

do not worry your screen will repair itself in time, I know it sounds crazy but it will repair itself over time. The lines are not permanent and once they start to fade it will take about two weeks for your screen to be back to normal. Sorry I can not give you a technical response to your problem.

that sounds crazy indeed, especially seeing that the pixels are actually dead instead of being some weird draw error. Im rather skeptical about seeing it repair itself to be honest, but who knows... i sure hope it does.

edit: as of current, there's already few more dead pixels on the screen compared to the picture i took yesterday (first post). It's going progressively worse, however the speed it degrades at has slowed down a little.

no word from any Nokia staff on this ?
    Currently the corruption on the LCD has gotten large enough to start affecting the device usage.

I don't really care how much I have to pay to get it fixed or whatever, i just need my device back > <

(Retired) Nokia Developer Admin.

Quote Originally Posted by MuGi View Post
    hello everyone, firsttimer here.
    as the title says, im starting my posts in the community with not so happy news.

long story short: here's an image of what my N950 looks like today

It started off with a line few pixels long, and every morning i wake up, more pixels are dead from the screen
    the Machine holds a lot of my development data inside so i would rather not consider giving up on using it.
    Any chance to have it repaired ?
    The N950 were devices given to developers to epxedite Maemo development. They are all gone, no warranty and no chance of Nokia fixing them. You could try the bag of Rice trick if it is from moisture.

Ron

This is not true, mine had a unsensitive patch on the screen. I contacted Nokia and they exchanged it... Was i just lucky or what?

Just contact the souce which gave it to you and ask them.
    (they where handed out from various different areas inside Nokia)

Nokia Developer Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by gardiol View Post
    This is not true, mine had a unsensitive patch on the screen. I contacted Nokia and they exchanged it... Was i just lucky or what?
    This might be when there were still stocks which were yet to be given out. I doubt if there are any left anymore after all this time. I would say, count yourself lucky if you got it in time exchanged

Quote Originally Posted by Nokia Ron View Post
    The N950 were devices given to developers to epxedite Maemo development. They are all gone, no warranty and no chance of Nokia fixing them. You could try the bag of Rice trick if it is from moisture.
    Ron
    i disassembled the device to see what's going on and it's not moisture (even though the build quality does seem scetchy, there's solder flux residue all over the PCB and components and it seems that the extra circuitry on the LCD might even be hand soldered.)
    the LCD on mine is simply faulty, there's no sign of misuse or moisture anywhere. It just started generating dead pixels out of nowhere.

i do realize that the N950's have no warranty, which is why i said I'm willing to pay to get it repaired. As someone who gets a living out of doing warranty repairs on Nokia devices, i am full well aware that spare parts do exist.
    My problem is merely that everyone i ask for help, seems to like denying the existence of the device or simply just saying "no you can't have parts because."

What comes to contacting the source, that is something i cannot do.
    The particular unit i have is actually owned by me and not bound by developers PLA (product loan agreement). it was not given to me for development purposes, but instead it originates as a price device on an event held by Nokia somewhere.
    i was denied a device when they were given for development so i had to get one via other means. it ended up costing me a lot but for me it just shows off how much i wanted one. Development is what i use it for, no matter where i got it.
    I'm not the original owner, and according to the original owner, there are no documents of the device's origin, just the warranty info on the system based on the device IMEI. (not sure it can be used to verify the origin though, it doesn't seem to differ from retail phone's info at all.)

well in any case, thanks for the official reply Ron. At least i got my answer now.
    i just find it funny that in every single occasion i've asked support for any help regarding anything only nokia can help me with, i've always gotten a "no we cant do that" for a reply..
    makes me wonder why it's called support at all to begin with :P

It kinda blows that ever since i was denied from getting one for development, i burned a lot of money on hardware to get one... you see, i REALLY wanted to start on it.
    Just my luck the one device i was able to get is faulty :P

thanks everyone for keeping me company for a while, i'll likely be more or less inactive now until i find some chinese guy to sell me a bootleg LCD module to get me back to work :/

If you find a replacement LCD, please let me know. I have a similar LCD problem to yours, but this is the second time it's happened to me. The first time, as someone else said, after two weeks the "dead" pixels slowly came back to life. This was after slowly "dying". Now I'm having the problem again - in a similar region of the screen, but not the same place - and there are a lot more pixels dying (though at seemingly the same rate) and the process has not reversed itself like before. It's been about four weeks since it started: a bunch of pixels together "died", and then it seems to spread along one axis. My "dead" pixels look a lot like yours, except they started at the top left where the signal strength indicator is, and now are reaching about 2/3rds of the way across the screen. I will post a picture soon.

Update: the corruption is now significantly worse: the original region is much bigger and there is a second region. The worsening happened twice, both during two airplane rides The cause may have been air pressure change (my first suspicion) or prolonged heat (a few hours at quite-hot-to-touch temperature). The cause was unlikely to have directly been pressure of the "sitting on the phone" kind (which I suspected earlier), since the phone was not subjected to serious pressure.

I too have the exact same issue with my N950. The dead pixel areas started showing up last week and just keep on growing, all on their own. This has never occurred before and I take extremely good care of my phone. I hope it gets back to normal otherwise I don't think there is anything I can do to fix it.

has anyone resolved that issue? i've broke my screen too and i haven't found any spare parts in local nokia care centers.
    i would pay any (reasonable) price to get my phone display fixed.

No, still have the issue.

I have 3 black spots that are growing in size due to scratching screen with no screen protector.

In Australia there is no support Nokia N950 I can find since Microsoft bought Nokia Phones.

Nokia N950 is non-standard so there is no way of getting it repaired.

My N950 won't boot now with black screen and no charge. I am going to get a new battery this week to try that.

It would not boot with green PIN screen so I removed SIM to stop it vibrating with black screen.

Later the screen showed and I was able to put in SIM and enter PIN in green PIN screen.

Super Contributor

Since the N950 had only a short production run (max a few thousands of units, as I recall) and was never sold, but only provided as development devices, I don't think Nokia's authorized repair/service partners or even Nokia's own repair facilities were ever provided spare parts or tools/instructions. And due to the device never been actually sold, I don't think Nokia built up any kind of spare parts inventory for it, either. So, when the N950 is broken, it is broken. They're also all, as far as I know, officially still property of Nokia and only on "indefinite" loan, so one shouldn't be selling/reselling them, however there might still be units available on eBay, etc., and you might find a replacement that way. Note, though, there are probably not any dismantling guides available for it, so it could be tricky to try to replace parts without breaking something additional in the process.