Discussion Board

Inneractive SDK - license issues

Hello, All

I'm now investigating of how to add in-app advertizing into my app. Seems that Nokia proposes to use Inneractive In-App Advertizing SDK. But there is one issue (in my opinion):
    - Inneractive SDK suggests to fully integrate Inneractive's code into my application: "include (component/component.pri)". But this code is under GPL license, so it means (as far as I understand) that my application needs also to be open-source, due to GPL license restrictions.

Can you please let me know if this is an issue and I can't use Inneractive's in-app advertizing solution in proprietary apps? Why they didn't provide an separate module/plugin to use inside applications, like Qt Quick Components do? Now, all developers need to copy full code into their apps.

Re: Inneractive SDK - license issues

Without going in to details, there is no need to release your app open-source if you use innerActives ad solution. So this is not an issue. Otherwise we are going to see huge piles of nice code released in near future

If you have a look on InnerActive SDK and examples, you'll see that you need to include GPL's code into your application. According to GPL restrictions, you must fully open the code of your application, if it contains GPL code inside

The best way for InnerActive it to support libraries downloaded by Smart Installer during app installation, like Qt Quick Components or Qt Mobility does. But they don't support Smart Installer for some reason...

Hi!
    My name is Nirit and I'm a support manager at inneractive.

Our beta QML open-source project has a LGPL license.
    The LGPL license allows the work to be linked with or used by a non- LGPLed / GPLed program.

The meaning is that your app doesn't have to be open-sourced

If you have any questions or comments, please don’t hesitate to contact me through the "contact support" link on your Dashboard.
    Best Regards,
    Nirit.

Hi, Nirit,

In my understanding, LGPL allows you to 'link' proprietary code with LGPL library.
    But current QML plug-in is not a library - it must included into my code with the following line:

folder_components.source = ../../component/inneractive

So, it is not 'linking', it is 'using'. Using of LGPL code has the same restrictions (in my understanding) - you must open source your application which contains any LGPL part

Best regards,
    Michael

Hi mnosov,

As previously explained in the forum, you don't have to open source your app, unless you want to.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by jetrix74 View Post
    Without going in to details, there is no need to release your app open-source if you use innerActives ad solution. So this is not an issue. Otherwise we are going to see huge piles of nice code released in near future
    Hi,

I don't really know much about LGPL - someone please correct me if I'm wrong - but I thought that the main idea of the license is that if an application uses a LGPL library, it must be possible for the end-user to replace the library with a modified version.

How is this usually achieved for applications that use the inneractive SDK LGPL code for ads?