Discussion Board

CCamera::StartViewFinderBitmapsL(aSize) does not return the frame of given size

hi,
    I am using CCamera to show frames on the device screen. But when i am calling StartViewFinderBitmapsL(aSize) i see that i am giving size 240 * 320 as input frame size but getting out frame size as 240 * 180. I am using Nokia 6124 classic which has screen resolution of 240 * 320 pixels. Do you know what is the reason of such behavior of size ?

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: CCamera::StartViewFinderBitmapsL(aSize) does not return the frame of given size

I suppose the image dimentions would be 4X*3X, thus if you want to fill the screen you should use 320*240 instead. Or make bigger than screen and clip the visible area from the bigger one.

Re: CCamera::StartViewFinderBitmapsL(aSize) does not return the frame of given size

Quote Originally Posted by symbianyucca View Post
    I suppose the image dimentions would be 4X*3X, thus if you want to fill the screen you should use 320*240 instead. Or make bigger than screen and clip the visible area from the bigger one.
    As you suggested i set the dimension so that it fills the screen and has a ratioo w:h = 4:3. It is working though some fram data is misused. My mobile has only portrait view. It has a 2 mega-pixel camera and has capacity to capture image of 1152 x 864. But when i hold the device in portrait mode and capturing a shot, the image is taken as a landscape always. In this case if i crop the image to make it portrait, then i am loosing main image data and also the image resolution id decreased. What could the solution of this issue ?
    Another query is if i have a camera where the screen ratio is not necessarily 4:3 or 3:4 then what will i do ?

Nokia Developer Moderator

Basically you would need to make a logic for handling your special use case there. Note also that you could draw the image in a way that it is shown completely but some areas would not have image data in them, meaning that your options is either crop of fit-to-screen

Yes that's right, But system camera application can take full 2 mega pixel image whether in portrait mode or in landscape mode. They may be frame orientation technique or some other way they use while capturing.

Quote Originally Posted by Md. Kayesh View Post
    Yes that's right, But system camera application can take full 2 mega pixel image whether in portrait mode or in landscape mode. They may be frame orientation technique or some other way they use while capturing.
    Hi,

Camera image sensors are usually not symmetrical, and in all Symbian devices I have encountered so far, the proper full screen viewfinder and full resolution photos have only been available when the screen is in landscape orientation (and sensor's longer side is horizontal). ECam seems to only support viewfinder and images in 4:3 or 16:9 aspect ratio, so when the screen is in portrait, the images and vf are simply as large part as possible cropped from the full image data available (whose real aspect ratio is now 3:4 or 9:16, because the sensor is rotated 90 degrees).

So, if you want to get full screen viewfinder and not lose image data in captured images, you'll have to force the app orientation to landscape at least in the view you're using to capture the images. Why do you need to use only portrait? As the camera view is full screen (and probably with custom UI), maybe you could rotate the UI stuff you draw on top of the viewfinder to make it look like the screen is still in portrait.

I got my answer. Thank you so much...