Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Exclamation Nokia DFW Developers: group announcement and invitation

Greetings all!

I'm working to whip up renewed enthusiasm for Nokia products in the US, particularly in my area (Dallas - Fort Worth, Texas). To that extent, I've taken one step by creating the Nokia DFW Developers group at IBM's open developerWorks site. The link is:

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/m...6-428ab3f2c7f6

What I like about IBM's community of communities is that it's wide open, so we can discover synergies with other groups. So far this group is pioneering in many ways, as it's the first one there for Nokia and, oddly, mobile tech in general.

So if you're a developer in the DFW area, or just highly interested and want to keep tabs on what we'll be doing, sign up! I'll be adding more content and resources quickly. I'll also be looking into other online community and group resources, although ultimately there will be one "master" (whatever it turns out to be).

EDIT: I was asked elsewhere why I didn't use THIS site for the group. Simple: other than the fact that IBM is providing a broad "community of communities", developer.nokia.com lacks the necessary community-building tools.

I'd love to have a job with Nokia helping to fix that, though (hint hint).
    Last edited by Texrat; 2012-03-27 at 18:59.

Re: Nokia DFW Developers: group announcement and invitation

Quote Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
    EDIT: I was asked elsewhere why I didn't use THIS site for the group. Simple: other than the fact that IBM is providing a broad "community of communities", developer.nokia.com lacks the necessary community-building tools.
    Certainly there is a lot of value in working with other communities to further grow our own, and you can't do that by "talking to yourself" on your own site.

That said - what are the tools you see as missing?

Regular Contributor

Re: Nokia DFW Developers: group announcement and invitation

Quote Originally Posted by hamishwillee View Post
    Certainly there is a lot of value in working with other communities to further grow our own, and you can't do that by "talking to yourself" on your own site.

That said - what are the tools you see as missing?
    Hamish, I don't see *any* provision for organizing groups here (maybe my oversight?). We're a collection of individuals in one meta group; there's no way that I can see to create subgroups.

When I mention missing tools or functionality, I'm thinking organizational tools like meetup.com provides-- or even the IBM site linked. Really, just take what the IBM site does and add exactly those features in here, and I'm ready to go.