Discussion Board

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Re: Push Notifcations for Harmattan (Pulse)

The person handling Harmattan ramp down activities in the first instance. Waiting on a response. I know what I am doing.

Quote Originally Posted by hamishwillee View Post
    The person handling Harmattan ramp down activities in the first instance. Waiting on a response. I know what I am doing.
    Sotiris's successor? He/she's been mighty communicative throughout the whole process >.> In any case, thanks, I guess...
    I await your Chinese whispered non-answer, + zero feedback from devs who'd actually know what happened (& is happening) to the entire framework.
    Last edited by jalyst; 2012-11-20 at 15:30.

So from this whole thing we get that nothing will most likely ever happen. Which I guess is ok given Nokia's strategy, but at least some clear comunication would be welcomed.
    Perhaps there is noone left to take care of this either anymore..

Quote Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
    Sotori's successor? He/she's been mighty communicative throughout the whole process >.> In any case, thanks, I guess...
    I await your Chinese whispered non-answer, + zero feedback from devs who'd actually know what happened (& is happening) to the entire framework.
    There is a Sotori successor?

Quote Originally Posted by tkastlunger View Post
    So from this whole thing we get that nothing will most likely ever happen. Which I guess is ok given Nokia's strategy
    It's not okay, they've failed to clearly articulate what's going on for almost an entire yr now, long before Harmattan/Symbian/Qt was phased out, read the original thread.
    Yes, there was someone who stepped into Sotiris's role (of course it's quite different in nature now), I have their contact details, their name escapes me...
    I would contact them directly, but I'm trying to do things via "proper channels", & am hoping that for once; "Nokia gives a shit"....
    Last edited by jalyst; 2012-11-20 at 15:35.

Quote Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
    It's not okay, they've failed to clearly articulate what's going on for almost an entire yr now, long before Harmattan/Symbian/Qt was phased out, read the original thread.
    Yes, there was someone who stepped into Sotiris's role (of course it's quite different in nature now), I have their contact details, their name escapes me...
    I would contact them directly, but I'm trying to do things via "proper channels", & am hoping that for once; "Nokia gives a shit"....

Obviously not working. Go for the direct way. Even tho even that might not solve things. And if you could try to find out what is going on with this whole Harmattan tragedy behind the scenes, it would help.

Re: Alarms lost on reboot

PROBLEM : SECURE INFO EXPOSED
    ISSUE : gconf contains pre-shared wireless (and perhaps others) passwords + keys.
    ANY APPLICATION can EASILY read the keys from gconf registry and thus steal access to ANY WLAN network.

URGENCY: HIGH

Re: Swipe duplicating started words

PRECONDITIONS

PR1.3 firmware

STEPS LEADING TO THE PROBLEM:

Take some images in summer time (daylight savings time)
    load images via USB to computer
    Note that the times of the files are UTC times
    wait until normal time
    compare time stamps of images in N9 and in computer using USB

EXPECTED OUTCOME:

Time stamps should be equal

ACTUAL OUTCOME:

times differ by one hour (= offset of daylight savings time?)

FREQUENCY OF OCCURENCE:
    Probably connected to daylight savings time and normal time switching.

WORKAROUND:
    Well, I noticed the bug when I updated my backup using rsync (in my linux PC): It overwrote the existing files that it did not overwrite before. I had set rsync to skip overwriting based on modification time. Workarounds would be to set rsync (or equivalent) to skip based on size only or checksum, though the former may not be accurate, and the latter is slower.

PROBLEM : SECURE INFO EXPOSED
    ISSUE : gconf contains pre-shared wireless (and perhaps others) passwords + keys.
    ANY APPLICATION can EASILY read the keys from gconf registry and thus steal access to ANY WLAN network.

URGENCY: HIGH
    That has been an urgent issue for over a year now. I guess not enough N9's have been sold to gather an angry mob large enough to impress Nokia, let alone to make Nokia care for these customers.

I've been submitting bugs to harmattan-bugs, and while most of them were "assigned" (whatever that may indicate) none of them were addressed in PR1.3. It seems to me that it, and these bug reports here, were all in vein.

Not that I will ever consider buying an ultra-limiting Windows Phone device, but given how Nokia treats their premium-price-paying and involved N9 customers I will not consider buying a Nokia at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzillogic View Post
    Not that I will ever consider buying an ultra-limiting Windows Phone device, but given how Nokia treats their premium-price-paying and involved N9 customers I will not consider buying a Nokia at all.
    I could not agree more. Nokia's customer service sucks big time.

That's why this thread got renamed by me to "forgotten bugs memo" (in honor to another in-famous Nokian memo)

Anyhow, jokes apart, the chances to get this fixed are VERY low, according to Nokia. But still not 0.
    I wonder if they have someone who CAN actually fix any of these bugs?
    If not, why dont they just open a dev channel to the community - and WE make the N9 the phone it is meant to be?
    I was considering offering help to Nokia to fix this issue. But I am not sure it would be considered at all from their Management.

That has been an urgent issue for over a year now. I guess not enough N9's have been sold to gather an angry mob large enough to impress Nokia, let alone to make Nokia care for these customers.

I've been submitting bugs to harmattan-bugs, and while most of them were "assigned" (whatever that may indicate) none of them were addressed in PR1.3. It seems to me that it, and these bug reports here, were all in vein.

Nokia still says in http://harmattan-bugs.nokia.com/ front page that "We will continue to develop critical bug fixes related to security, performance and reliability of the device. If you have unreported issues that fall into these categories, please do contact us through the Nokia Developer discussion forum." Also please note what a retired Nokia developer admin Ron tells at http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...l=1#post888267 about this thread.

That's why this thread got renamed by me to "forgotten bugs memo" (in honor to another in-famous Nokian memo)

Anyhow, jokes apart, the chances to get this fixed are VERY low, according to Nokia. But still not 0.
    I wonder if they have someone who CAN actually fix any of these bugs?
    If not, why dont they just open a dev channel to the community - and WE make the N9 the phone it is meant to be?
    I was considering offering help to Nokia to fix this issue. But I am not sure it would be considered at all from their Management.

Quote Originally Posted by jarno76 View Post
    Nokia still says in http://harmattan-bugs.nokia.com/ front page that "We will continue to develop critical bug fixes related to security, performance and reliability of the device. If you have unreported issues that fall into these categories, please do contact us through the Nokia Developer discussion forum." Also please note what a retired Nokia developer admin Ron tells at http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...l=1#post888267 about this thread.
    Given that :
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron
    Since the bugzilla bug database is only accepting critical bugs, this can serve as a repository.
    I would like to report this GConf backdoor to the bugzilla as well, considering the issue _IS_ pretty critical I am sure we all agree it falls in the category of bugs
    that have the privilege to be posted there.
    So what you think Hamishwilee, sawwy?

Regular Contributor

Nokia brand is not trustworty anymore since elop step in into nokia.If nokia cant even fix a bug in their own os then how can we trust a brand that don't even own any os or should i say abandon their own os.I pity harmattan users because now the harmattan basically is just supported by its community only and as new os there are still a lot bug not fix..Sorry for my bad and weird english grammar

So what you think Hamishwilee, sawwy?
    I think that I'm still waiting on comms to provide me with a canonical statement of whether we're still supporting critical bugs, and how. Until I get that anything I might post would be a personal opinion only.

The canonical statement is that support is unchanged:
    We continue to monitor and assign bug fixes for the Nokia N9, selecting those that are most critical for firmware and software updates.
    It is up to the program to determine what is a critical defect.