Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Nokia Developer Expert

What apps are you missing for your Nokia device?

Hi, are you missing an app in your Nokia device? Or a functionality that an installable app could cover?

I'm interested in helping connecting the dots between user needs, developers with apps published and developers considering what to do next.

I just started a wiki page:

http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...i/Apps_Missing

You are encouraged to help filling it with useful data, editing it directly or posting here your feedback. If you choose to post here please follow this format for easy copy&paste:

* [http://store.ovi.com/content/ZZZZ App linked to store] - Shortest description.
    ** Why you miss this app. Is it for a feature that other apps could provide? Is it a specific brand or service you are after? One sentence is enough.

I believe we can get good results out of this!

Disclaimer: I work at Nokia. My work focuses on Qt and http://qt-project.org - hence the primary interest on MeeGo Harmattan & Symbian apps at the Nokia Store.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: What apps are you missing for your Nokia device?

I suppose this is not official enquiry, anyway, as you should know most people here are developers, thus if you want to have more wider perpective, you could always add your query to out end user related discussion baord as we,

Nokia Developer Expert

It is a well intentioned inquiry. My intention posting here is to get the attention of developers targeting Symbian. Besides, any developer is a user as well.

I can post it to more boards but the more I post the more difficult it is to process the data there. I'm hoping this wiki page to grow and be advertized in more forums, social stuff, etc.

What i miss is a full featured media player like WinAmp with playlists, free configurable equalizer, nice visualizations, folder and database based...

Regular Contributor

Symbian is a very stable platform that could enter to the business industry, replacing blackberry obsolete devices.
    Hope Elop push to upgrade more symbian, instead of launching useless windowsphones

symbian is a really stable platform. But anyhow, I gotta say I love ios too. Who doesn't love Angry Birds?

[https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...sbC5mcmVlIl0.] Firewall
    I miss the "always ask" Option in Belle.The "always ask" Option was the reason to buy a Nokia N8. A Firewall to control mobile access from Apps is very importent for al lot of symbian users.

I would really like BBC News but doubt it will happen on the N9...

Like some good reading apps. Not wattpad but an app that has REAL books.

Hi everyone!

Saw Apps Missing few hours back and added few apps that I would love to have on N9(50). We can add thousands of apps in that list but somewhere down I feel who is gonna make them?
    There are listed some awesome ideas and personally I would myself love to work on few of them(5-6 ) but for what? N9 is not available everywhere, not too many users, platform is abandoned so why will people develop for it. The only reason I can think of is Qt and love for it. But personally I can't always develop apps just because I love working with Qt or I have a N950 whereas people around me are not even using my work!
    Also, there are no monetary benefits. Yes, you can always sell your app on store but what is the point in selling apps which have a better/industry built equivalent available for free for Android/iOS devices (a lot of listed apps fall in this category).
    For my case, only motivation I have is the user reviews/response I got from people around the world. And sometimes even that is enough but SOMETIMES!

I didn't wanted to criticize this nice effort would love to see some positive outcome. Wish Nokia hadn't ditched MeeGo Harmattan & Symbian.

Keep up the good work!

Quote Originally Posted by ShwStppr View Post
    Hi everyone!

Saw Apps Missing few hours back and added few apps that I would love to have on N9(50). We can add thousands of apps in that list but somewhere down I feel who is gonna make them?
    At least the happy few n950 gurus and venerable n9 owners ... I can not tell for big bizness editors or app vendors ...

I suppose most of users knows why did they pick that platform...
    with something that other platforms miss : a true POSIX GNU'ish system ...

So at least we dont start from the scratch , and it's enough to hack for upcoming years ...

Any opensource symbian devel around ?
    http://rzr.online.fr/q/redak# redak : #FreE #TexT #EditoR : #Qt #QmL ported to #SymbiaN #BellE (#E7) and !n950club #n9 #MeeGo, test
    http://elinux.org/Mobile# Efforts to share a common base for GNU/Linux mobile communities ...
    http://go.cur.lv/files# files to be shared or email me

Mobile apps are developing day by day. Public purchase and use mobile apps according to their recruitment. Any body can't force to buy mobile apps according to me.

To be honest I really like Angry Birds haha. Would like to get that on Symbian devices but I really don't think it's going to happen. Maybe Nokia will make an Android Device one day?

Nokia Developer Moderator

Angry Birds, Angry Birds Seasons and Angry Birds Rio are all available for Symbian^3/Anna/Belle devices. They were even available as part of the free summer offering in Nokia (that time, Ovi) Store last year. Angry Birds Space may get released too (it has to be admitted that the other releases came later than on iOS and Android).
    Perhaps are you a troll perhaps?

Super Contributor

I think, Bump is missing in Nokia store for Symbian devices.