Discussion Board

Thumbs down QT in-app purchase hangs application

We have several reports from customers that in-app purchase doesn't work. They say application hangs when they click 'buy'-button in our app. Sometimes we can repeat the situation, based on logs last call is IAPClient::getProductData. productDataReceived-callback is never called, looks like connection to Ovi Store fails. Our IAP code is copied from TryAndBuyExample. Our application already uses WiFi to connect internet so there shouldn't be any connectivity issues. Is it a known bug that sometimes IAP calls don't return or handle errors? Since there is no cancel-function for asynchronous calls I would expect productDataReceived to be called with error code after some timeout. Example code has no code to handle situation like this either.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: QT in-app purchase hangs application

Thanks OneDeveloper,

I am not aware of such problem, but this does indeed require some investigation on our side. We'll keep you posted.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Quote Originally Posted by ltomuta View Post
    Thanks OneDeveloper,

I am not aware of such problem, but this does indeed require some investigation on our side. We'll keep you posted.
    Thanks for reply Lucian. One thing that could affect is that my app is using in-app analytics, advertisement and wifi connection to transfer data from server. So there are three (active) network connections in addition to IAP. That could possibly cause problems? I'll remove all those temporarily to see if IAP connection becomes more reliable.

On the other hand even Nokia TryAndBuyExample sometimes fails to receive product information. Difficult to analyze root cause since errors appear randomly.

Nokia Developer Expert

Hi

Please let us know more about your application : advertisement API provider (Inneractive ?) and wifi connection -- could you detail more. From our side we can create a mock app with all mentioned peculiarities and check whether we will get any problem with IAP , the app source will be in public domain -- i.e. available for your examination.

So please specify your requirements to that mock app that will emulate your application conditions

Quote Originally Posted by izinin View Post
    Hi

Please let us know more about your application : advertisement API provider (Inneractive ?) and wifi connection -- could you detail more. From our side we can create a mock app with all mentioned peculiarities and check whether we will get any problem with IAP , the app source will be in public domain -- i.e. available for your examination.

So please specify your requirements to that mock app that will emulate your application conditions
    Advertisement provider is Inneractive, analytics service is from Nokia. As it is a client-server application running mainly on local WiFi, it also scans through local IP-addresses using QT sockets. Nokia Store content ID is 223620 if you want to try it yourself and see if it hangs for you. Of course there is no need to do purchases for testing, app should hang already when retrieving content items ;-)

Based on in-app analytics we can see the following issue (this is also confirmed by users via e-mail reports). We are tracking when people click on 'buy' button to upgrade to full version. That's when we call IAPClient::getProductData and all purchase process from that on is copied from TryAndBuyExample. Then on purchaseCompleted signal-handler we track how many users got that far, no matter if they did click ok or cancel. Also if productDataReceived returns error it is tracked and added to number of users completing the process.

And the number is 29%, meaning 71% of customers clicking buy-button never finish the iap-process by buying content item or clicking cancel. Reasons for that can be that A) app crashes (not likely as crash here never happened on our tests and also no feedback about such) B) in-app purchase process gets stuck so users just kill the app C) purchaseCompleted-signal is not always emitted, is there some other sequence to exit purchase process? D) analytics information is not reliable

Thanks for your support guys, you help is greatly appreciated.

Nokia Developer Expert

Hi

i could reproduce the problem, indeed IAP enabled app hangs and here is the observation details:

1) At the first launch RemoteDesktop works fine and allows to buy the application upgrade without problems -- no IAP hangs were observed with all possible user interaction scenarios except real connection to remote PC -- sorry i skipped that point

2) The second launch RemoteDesktop hangs when user tries to buy the application upgrade -- the issue reproducible 100% . The problem is gone after the device re-booting

I think , there could be only Analytic problem. Because at the first launch Analytic does not have data to send and from the other hand Analytic does not open socket itself to send data but employs already made connection -- i.e. IAP.

Please disable Analytic in your code just for testing purposes and let me know if the problem is gone. If my idea is proved i will analyze the Analytic bug deeper and finally create bug report on it

Izinin, thanks for your analysis. As requested we tried running the app without analytics, but it did not help. We could still reproduce the issue.

We found out that issue does not happen if there is 30 second delay between exiting the app and second launch. There was another discussion in Ovi publisher Facebook group about IAP engine running for 20 seconds after app exit. Could this be the reason? Also, could you check if app doesn't hang for you after at least 30 sec delay between exit and re-launch?

Nokia Developer Moderator

This 10-20-30 seconds stuff sounds familiar from http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...losing-IAP-app, so it may be really something about having the 'old' IAP engine running.

Nokia Developer Expert

Hi guys,

20 seconds bug is still here , but it does not trouble your application. You just don't exercise that error case.

Please check example application that demonstrates three APIs that causes you troubles : IAP , Analytic and Inneractive IAAd (QML). The app is Symbian QComponent based. It runs smoothly . So -- bad news for your implementation . Please cut out functionality one-by-one until the problem you see disappear. Please address me with your question. I hope my test app will help you https://projects.developer.nokia.com/IAP_QML_minimal

NOTE: you need to sign the app with developer certificate because of capabilities introduced by Inneractive IAAd.