Discussion Board

[HELP] Modifying avkon2

Developers can you help in modifying avkon2.mif file......can.you guide which entry file denotes which image? Black and white images are a bit boring....i wanted to add colour like green batery bar, red signals, yellow silent icon in status bar! This is solely for personal use so please dont keep telling me about the infrignments of copyright law! Only helping ans please....and please dont lock this without discussing!

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: [HELP] Modifying avkon2

You can not modify stuff in Z-drive, also copyright issues are taking seriously here, and if you feel that we should not take copyrights seriously, then you are in wrong place.

Why can't I edit files from z?

Nokia Developer Expert

Zzzz drive is ROM (Read Only Memory) drive.

Oh....i know its read only....but I have extracted...avkon2.mif from my c7 z drive.....this mif file contains nvg files....

Nokia Developer Expert

What would be the point on modifying it, since you can not really put it back to the device ? Also there is high chance that any place where there is monocrome image defined for, will actually use the monocrome image. Also In essense the overwriting of items is handled with themes, and only if there is no item defined in a theme, then it will be read from files present in firmware.

I can reflash that.....please just tell me how to edit the nvg files in avkon2.mif beacuse with elements present in themes cant change the battery indicator colour or cant change the color of signal out wifi bars!
    Last edited by kartik.bose; 2012-04-06 at 09:57.

Nokia Developer Expert

We here are highly against modifying the firmware in a way you are descriping you would be doing it, thus would recommend you not to do so. Anyway , I'm not aware of any application for modifying nvg files, however I would assume that mif files would generally be made with mifconv tool found from SDKs.

How will I create a new mif if I dont even know which Entryxx.nvg denotes ehich image in.status bar? Isnt there not even a nvg "viewer"?

Nokia Developer Expert

You could always try using your favourity search engine and search for the content of this file, anyway I never seen any viewers.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Reverse engineering is still not supported here. However there is also a technical detail: only the mask of the indicator icons are used for rendering battery bar, signal pane, etc. It does not matter how colorful icon one provides, only the transparency mask will have an effect.
    Otherwise the SDK contains the identifiers for those icons, and the ex-open source Symbian^3 code (symbiandump project on SourceForge) even contains a set of the .svg files used for creating them. The sf-mw-uiresources package is a good candidate.
    (if encountering problems with .hg files, check http://www.developer.nokia.com/Community/Discussion/showthread.php?234539-SymbianOS-source-code for some ideas)