Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is everyone ready to say goodbye to symbian?

Am I the only one that does not want to see it go? I am actually quite sad by this, I'm planning to make a tribute video.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Is everyone ready to say goodbye to symbian?

Quote Originally Posted by mattmers View Post
    Am I the only one that does not want to see it go? I am actually quite sad by this, I'm planning to make a tribute video.
    Symbian is not going anywhere for now. Its just not the top priority for Nokia on Smartphone side of things (windows phone is now the OS to look out for when it comes to Smartphones) but the world is not only about smartphones. And there is still a huge number of Symbian users out there.

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by joaocardoso View Post
    Symbian is not going anywhere for now. Its just not the top priority for Nokia on Smartphone side of things (windows phone is now the OS to look out for when it comes to Smartphones) but the world is not only about smartphones. And there is still a huge number of Symbian users out there.
    Yes, there's a huge number of existing Symbian users out there, but their next phone is in all likelihood not based on Symbian (not for most of them). The declining Symbian based phone sales, the ever fewer newer Symbian based phone models introduced, and the exodus of Symbian people from Nokia (and also Accenture who acquired most of Nokia's Symbian people), and (probably) the fewer and fewer of new Symbian apps introduced is a clear sign that Symbian is not going much anywhere. If you don't wish say goodbye to it, you can do so soon, or it will be too late.

And the world (of mobile phones) really is more and more about smartphones (I recall that it is getting close to over half of the new phone sold are smartphones, if not true already; most of them Android based).

Quote Originally Posted by petrib View Post
    Yes, there's a huge number of existing Symbian users out there, but their next phone is in all likelihood not based on Symbian (not for most of them). The declining Symbian based phone sales, the ever fewer newer Symbian based phone models introduced, and the exodus of Symbian people from Nokia (and also Accenture who acquired most of Nokia's Symbian people), and (probably) the fewer and fewer of new Symbian apps introduced is a clear sign that Symbian is not going much anywhere. If you don't wish say goodbye to it, you can do so soon, or it will be too late.

And the world (of mobile phones) really is more and more about smartphones (I recall that it is getting close to over half of the new phone sold are smartphones, if not true already; most of them Android based).
    I agree with you that Symbian does have the days counted, from what it seems. But still there seems to be some interest on the platform yet. Otherwise why would Microsoft invested in Office apps for it?
    http://www.theverge.com/mobile/2012/...int-apps-nokia

I know that this is probably part of the deal to get Nokia on board with windows phone, but at the same time I dont see either Nokia or Miocrosoft to invest on the platform with new software releases and new phones and even new SDK versions if there wasnt still some interest. And judging by the millions of downloads a day, its still very much alive. I'm still wondering if Nokia will be killing it completely or if they will keep it for real cheap phones on some markets.

Just my 2 cents anyway,

Nokia Developer Champion

http://press.nokia.com/2012/04/11/no...-2012-outlook/

In the first quarter 2012, Nokia sold more than 2 million Lumia devices at an average selling price of approximately EUR 220 (reported within the Smart Devices business unit)
    3 months, 2 million devices. It should be 10 times that amount to get close to the best Symbian years (with roughly 80 million Symbian devices sold per year). I hope things pick up for Nokia with Windows Phone, but so far the numbers do not show it.

http://press.nokia.com/2012/04/11/no...-2012-outlook/

3 months, 2 million devices. It should be 10 times that amount to get close to the best Symbian years (with roughly 80 million Symbian devices sold per year). I hope things pick up for Nokia with Windows Phone, but so far the numbers do not show it.
    I agree with you but you need to consider a few things. First, sales alone does not give you usage numbers. There is a huge Symbian base still present. And Nokia is still releasing a few devices based on that platform. So again this means that Symbian is still an interesting platform to develop to. Specially if you are developing form more than one platform. Obviously if you want to bet only on one platform, the obvious choice for me would be the platform that has the most potential to grow. And that's windows phone. If I was a iPhone or Android developer the windows phone and the symbian platform would be also really appealing because there arent so many apps on the market as the other 2 so your app gets to be noticed more easily.

But if you want to target millions and millions of users today, Symbian is still relevant. Its there, on users hands, and OVI store from what I've seen continues to show impressive numbers.

Nokia numbers will be increasing a lot this year, I expect. Windows Phone is growing fast and is gaining an interesting market share. It was below 1% last year ans now last I read is over 2.5%. If it continues to grow at this pace we will see a market share of arroung 8-10% by end of this year and thats a lot. And being Nokia the best selling devices on Windows Phone... I see good things coming.

I still would not give up on Symbian just now, specially if I had invested on it.

Nokia Developer Champion

I still would not give up on Symbian just now, specially if I had invested on it.
    Definitely not. However, if you haven't invested in Symbian yet, there's not that much incentive to start now. A lot of the installed base exists, but it is probably much smaller than you'd think as far as potential app/content customers go, and a lot of the specifics whether about Symbian C++ or even Qt, are not that useful on/for anything else.

Definitely not. However, if you haven't invested in Symbian yet, there's not that much incentive to start now. A lot of the installed base exists, but it is probably much smaller than you'd think as far as potential app/content customers go, and a lot of the specifics whether about Symbian C++ or even Qt, are not that useful on/for anything else.
    From my prespective, yes I have to agree with you. But what I've seen so far from Microsoft and other app publishers... there seems to be some Increased interest in Symbian platform specially after the Nokia/Microsoft deal and that does surprises me. If I recall correctly when the deal was oficcialy announced last year, the number of OVI downloads was about 10M... now its about 13M so there was an increase of downloads. (number of downloads per day by the way)

Nokia Developer Champion

when the deal was oficcialy announced last year, the number of OVI downloads was about 10M... now its about 13M so there was an increase of downloads. (number of downloads per day by the way)
    However, Nokia does not break down how much of that is for Symbian based phones and how much for Series 40 (maemo/MeeGo is probably negligient). Nor does Nokia break down how much of the downloads is apps/games and how much is other content (UI themes, wallpapers, video clips,...). Neither does Nokia list how much of the downloads is free content vs. paid, or whether they also count re-downloads (same user downloads same content multiple times), or a breakdown per phone model, or regionally.

Regarding Windows Phone:

comScore’s figures over the rolling averages for the past three months show that Windows Phone has dropped in market share. Considering how little it had in the first place, it rings bells of bad news:

Sep.–Dec. 2011: From 5.6 percent to 4.7 percent — a drop of –0.9 percent.
    Oct.–Jan. 2012: From 5.4 percent to 4.4 percent — a drop of –1.0 percent.
    Nov.–Feb. 2012: From 5.2 percent to 3.9 percent — a drop of –1.3 percent.

The figures keep dropping, and currently only sits behind Symbian which holds its ground at 1.5 percent. With so few users, the revenue streams available for application developers is what is turning those developers away from Windows Phone towards iOS or Android.
    The above from: http://m.zdnet.com/blog/btl/windows-...-give-up/73126

My gut feeling is that only Nokia's Windows Phone sales is going reasonably well (but should grow significantly from current levels to start to pay off), and other manufacturers (Samsung, HTC, LGE) are mainly focusing on Android (and some, like Motorola/Google and Sony/Sony Ericsson have dropped out from the Windows Phone alltogether). E.g., in the world's largest mobile conference in February (MWC), only Nokia announced any Windows Phone models (and even Nokia announced only one model, and re-announced the Lumia 900).

comScore I believe it includes Windows Mobile and Windows Phone on the same Bag and thats why you have those numbers. because Windows Phone (not windows mobile) is increasing not declining.

Example: http://wmpoweruser.com/kantar-no-lon...lling-symbian/

Special regard on this excerpt: "The survey shows Windows Phones increased its share fivefold from 0.5% last year to 2.5% in Europe in 2012, unfortunately for Nokia in part at the expense of Symbian, which dropped from 12.4% in 2011 to 2.4% in 2012."

Yes I am absolutely ready!

I'm not yet ready to say goodbye to Symbian. For me as (primary) a C programmer it is relatively easy to develop small apps using QtSDK and C++. Now i'm relatively fast in creating a new app for Symbian, sign it by Nokia and publish it through the OVI store. To develop for another platform, it takes quite some time to learn anything, install the required tools, learn all about publishing to the store and so on.
    But of course, such lifecycles of technologies are normal if one works in the electronic industry...

Regular Contributor

Symbian is a very good OS, but problem is that nokia directors are not.

They try to sale obsolete windowsphones worldwide which sales are maximun 2 millions phones, versus the 80 millions sales of symbian.

Problem is that symbian is not updated very often, but if they make some fixes and upgrades, symbian could fight android devices.
    Hope someone of Nokia company is reading this post, and make improvements on next symbian carla.
    (better GUI, launch a phone similar to N9 or lumia, add microsoft official package under symbian, etc.)

Nice sharing guys!!! And i think symbian is good!!!!

I think the time is come when Nokia leaves the Symbian and windows and use android os in there devices else Nokia will be the history.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast