Discussion Board

Post how to plan for different versions, upgrades etc'.

Hi, i'm planning to have 2 packages for the same application, one for sys 60 devices, and another for sys 40 devices. The two packages will differ slightly in jar & jad. Later on i'm planning to continue
    to enhance each package separately.
    How should i go about submitting these 2 packages?
    (the questions are multiple choice answers for ease of answering)

1) Should i submit the two packages a) at the same time or b) wait until one is approved and then submit the other?

2) how would the two packages be eventually identified in the OVI store? is there a convention? for example, if i was planning to call the app "ABC Reminders", should each package have its own name, like "ABC Reminders for Sys 60", and "ABC Reminders for Sys 40"?

3) If i later on publish an enhanced version of one of the packages,
    3.1) would owners of this app get notified that there is a newer version?
    3.2) if the app is not a free but a paid app, do owners of an older version get the newer version a) for free b) the developer/publisher to decide the upgrade cost c) the pay just like people who buy it for the first time?

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: how to plan for different versions, upgrades etc'.

Quote Originally Posted by ronikoren View Post
    Hi, i'm planning to have 2 packages for the same application, one for sys 60 devices, and another for sys 40 devices. The two packages will differ slightly in jar & jad. Later on i'm planning to continue
    to enhance each package separately.
    How should i go about submitting these 2 packages?
    (the questions are multiple choice answers for ease of answering)

1) Should i submit the two packages a) at the same time or b) wait until one is approved and then submit the other?

2) how would the two packages be eventually identified in the OVI store? is there a convention? for example, if i was planning to call the app "ABC Reminders", should each package have its own name, like "ABC Reminders for Sys 60", and "ABC Reminders for Sys 40"?

3) If i later on publish an enhanced version of one of the packages,
    3.1) would owners of this app get notified that there is a newer version?
    3.2) if the app is not a free but a paid app, do owners of an older version get the newer version a) for free b) the developer/publisher to decide the upgrade cost c) the pay just like people who buy it for the first time?
    Hi,

1. You can submit the two packages at the same time with one Content Item, but two Content Files which each of content file has different target devices.

2. There is no naming convention, you can choose what you like. There are 2 options:
    (a) One Content Item with 2 Content Files, your package will be identified as one content item.
    (b) Two Content Items. The benefit of this option is that you can set different name and price point for each package of your application.

3. After your application has been published, you can update your content files.
    (1) Yes, the owner will get update notification for the new version of your application.
    (2) They don't need to pay again because the content id of the application has been recorded to their Nokia Store account when the bought the apps.
    Jeffrey Hermanto Halimsetiawan
    Game Developer | Mobile Apps Developer
    LinkedIn