Discussion Board

How to link PC Connectivity SDK libraries to Dev-C++ ?

Hi,
    first of all i need to state that i'm not familiar with Dev-C++, the language c++ or mobile proggraming alltogether. This is going to be my first project ever. So bare with me please and answer as plain as possible.
    As my title allready suggested i need to link/add the libraries from PC Connectivity SDK 3.0 to Dev-C++ (version 4.9.9.2).

I want to make an SMS immediate response program.
    Example:
    Somone sends to my number a SMS with the text "need help" and the program sends automatic back "call 911".
    Therefor i need the library witch contents the classes for reading and sending SMS.
    The device that i'm going to use is a Nokia 6310.

Is it even possible ? All i found were "Interface Definition Language Files" that are unknown to Dev.

Thanks in advance

Regular Contributor

Re: How to link PC Connectivity SDK libraries to Dev-C++ ?

This isn't Symbian C++ topic either (if your aim is to make PC/windows software)

Anyway have considered using AT commands for handling the phone interface?
    https://www.developer.nokia.com/info..._2_en.pdf.html

Regarding Dev-C++ IDE it seems to be 7 years old dead open source project. I wouldn't expect anybody using that or being able to help with it.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Jaocardoso suggested him in the WP board to post here, but the device is not a Symbian one. Actually you need http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...ess-interfaces, and you do not necessarily need the connectivity SDK, the cable driver may be enough for working with AT commands over a serial port.

Hi and sorry it took me so long to reply (we had Eastern Holidays and i was out of Town).

@mikkovtr

it doesn't have to be Dev-C++ but since we are working with it at the University i thought i'll stick with it for this project.
    I tried Visual C++ and Visual Studio too but i couldn't find a way to link the libraries there either (maybe overlooked it)

@wizard_hu_

I checked the link you posted out, but the posts there aren't helpful.
    Now i'm completely lost. Until now i thought it would be sufficient to find a way to link some libraries and write some code in C++ to complete my project but i can't find a way to link the libraries and you pointed out that Series 40 devices does not support C++ development. Also you said that i should write it in Java Micro Edition but i don't know the language at all (i know only web-development languages such as HTML,PHP,ActionScript etc. and a little C++).
    Can you give me some ideas witch language, witch libraries etc. to use ?

Thank you both
    Last edited by leftycool; 2012-04-16 at 16:08.

Super Contributor

Let's start first by clarifying a couple of things:

1) Are you trying to write a phone-based app that runs on your phone?

or

2) Are you trying to write a PC-based app that runs on your PC (Windows)?

or

3) Are you trying to write both a phone-based app and a PC-based app which are supposed to communicate between each other?

My impression is 2; your goal is a PC/Windows app, where the phone is just a cellular modem receving the SMS, which you wish to read/capture on the PC side, and then send also a reply/response SMS through the phone. Am I correct?

If I am, then you don't need to worry about anything that has to do with what kind of apps you can or cannot develop for the phone.

And for a PC/Windows app, you can communicate with the phone to some degree by configuring Windows to see/detect the phone as a modem, and then use AT commands on the PC to do some things. The first step there is to make sure that the phone is visible to the PC as a modem, and then you can use a terminal application to test out the connection (the AT commands). Once you've cleared that stage, you can worry about doing it programmatically.

Another approach on the PC side is to use the Nokia PC Suite APIs (find first the PC Suite API documentation here, as well as the actual Nokia PC Suite application from nokia.com/pcsuite). First make PC Suite work with your phone, and once you have that going, you can start tackling the APIs. Note that the PC Suite APIs have not been updated in a few years. Also, do not confuse the Nokia PC Suite API with the Nokia PC Connectivity SDK, which is older and even less supported than the PC Suite API.

Nokia Developer Moderator

For added confusion I posted a remark into #8 of http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...aries-to-Dev-C too (the old thread), however in that thread a newcomer also started asking about PC Suite in general for some reason.
    For simplicity let us summarize here:
    - if you have a Nokia 6310, it can not be programmed in C++
    - the Nokia 6310 can be programmed in Java, Java Micro Editon
    - however Java Micro Edition does not really support messaging, especially not in the early versions
    The only thing you may do with the 6310 is plugging it onto a PC, and using it as an SMS modem. It is possible with the 6310i (https://www.developer.nokia.com/Devi...cations/6310i/) for sure, I have done that 6-7 years ago. However I have no idea about how the 6310 (without the 'i') relates to it.
    So for your use case PC-side development is the only way.
    There may be 2 approaches
    - the high-level C/C++ API-s you have found (the PC Connectivity SDK-s), they may or may not work
    - the low-level approach is about sending AT commands directly to the serial port of the phone (at least the 6310i has a serial port, RS-232) and watching for the answers. This is where the AT-commands set can be helpful, linked by Mikkovtr in #2. You can try them with HyperTerm or similar terminal emulator program, the information inquiry commands are quite harmless (ATI, ATI1, ATI2, etc.) to start with.

Quote Originally Posted by petrib View Post
    My impression is 2; your goal is a PC/Windows app, where the phone is just a cellular modem receving the SMS, which you wish to read/capture on the PC side, and then send also a reply/response SMS through the phone. Am I correct?
    That's correct. Since i have some problems with the Nokia Connection Manager 'Operation failed (error code: 3F0).' i'll re-install all the programs again and test it out like you suggested.

I just checked it out that my mobile is actually a 6310i (haven't used it for quit a few years). i'll check the link you've posted.
    I'll post my findings and conclusions later on here.

Thank you for sticking with me and helping me out