Discussion Board

How to change "Auto-rotate display" setting?

Hello,

I wonder if there is a good way to change system setting "Auto-rotate display"?

Reason I want to do this:
    1. When user has this option off - phone is in portrait mode always.
    2. My app (symdvr) could be fixed in portrait or landscape mode
    3. While app is fixed in landscape mode, it usually means that user hold his phone in landscape as well
    4. After app go to background (on some reason) - whole system orientation should be landscape and not portrait as on application start

Thus I think that one of simpliest way to make system go landscape is change "Auto-rotate display" setting. However I spent half of day and cannot find how to change it programmatically.

Thank you,
    Alexey

Re: How to change "Auto-rotate display" setting?

Hi,

There is an internal Sensor API that does Autorotate display setting .So u can try out out paid technical support for assistance.

Quote Originally Posted by kalyani2u View Post
    Hi,

There is an internal Sensor API that does Autorotate display setting .So u can try out out paid technical support for assistance.
    Thank you for answer, but I am not planning to ask paid support. I have source code of Symian s^3 and s^4. If you have a hint where internal Sensor API could be found - I could find it by myself.

Nokia Developer Moderator

do not check for Sensor API, but settings parts.. anyway, please note that any API which is not included in the public SDK is subject to compatibility issues, thus you should prepare that any API not included in the public SDK might not work any future firmware versions.

Quote Originally Posted by symbianyucca View Post
    do not check for Sensor API, but settings parts.. anyway, please note that any API which is not included in the public SDK is subject to compatibility issues, thus you should prepare that any API not included in the public SDK might not work any future firmware versions.
    Thank you, however I found that most of settings are in "gsprofilesrv" package, but it does not contain sensor setting like autorotate.
    I realize that platform api could have compatibility issues in the future. From the other hand looks like Nokia is going to switch to MS completly and I am not sure if Symbian will have long life since today.
    Personally I like Symbian and I did not try to use MS yet

auto rotate is not Sensor settings, it is system UI settings thing which is using Sensor accelerometer sensor..

anyway, as said, you have the option on utilizing paid technical support. In it you would get internal expert looking into your use case for selected platform version, and if there would be only non-public APIs available for the use case,the internal expert would then instruct you further with API partnering process.

Anyway, do note that it is not guaranteed that there would be any API for your selected use case and platform.

Quote Originally Posted by symbianyucca View Post
    auto rotate is not Sensor settings, it is system UI settings thing which is using Sensor accelerometer sensor..

anyway, as said, you have the option on utilizing paid technical support. In it you would get internal expert looking into your use case for selected platform version, and if there would be only non-public APIs available for the use case,the internal expert would then instruct you further with API partnering process.

Anyway, do note that it is not guaranteed that there would be any API for your selected use case and platform.
    Thanks! I will try to find where is UI settings defined. It is not necessarily for me to have an API for this case. If there is any hint or trick - it could be enough.
    I know that things should be done right way - using API, etc... However, in the real life, often you should go through all right things and make unique solution adjusted to your case

Hints and trick can be often found in the ex-open source Symbian^3 code. Project 'symbiandump' on SourceForge, http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...OS-source-code contains some hints about .hg files.