Discussion Board

Qt SDK 1.1.2 Device Support

Hi all. I wish to learn QT and develop some simple apps for my moms' Nokia N95 8GB and my sisters' Nokia 5230. After a lot of reading I've concluded that the QT SDK version I need is 1.1.2.

However, the download page says it's a 1.78GB download and I'm on a pay-per-use internet connection so I'd like someone to confirm whether it's the right SDK for me to download. If I'm wrong that'll be ~20 bucks down the drain.

Will I also be able to target Belle using QT SDK 1.1.2 using the same code base?

Re: Qt SDK 1.1.2 Device Support

Hi,

Yes it is 1.78GB for windows from here.

For Belle, qt sdk 1.1.4 and later will work better to develop and deploy

Nokia Developer Moderator

the Nokia N95 8GB is not really good target for Qt, I would suggest utilizing Symbian C++ for development concerning 3rd edition in general.

With Nokia 5230 you could use Qt, but note that support for QML is rather limited with it, anyway you could use Symbian C++ with it as well.

Belle would support latest versions of the Qt & QML so it would be good target with QtSDK, though if you are doing Symbian C++ for older devices, you can get them also working with Belle devices.

Then again, Symbian C++ is said to be harder to get started than Qt.

So just to be clear, using QT SDK 1.1.2 I should theoretically be able to compile and create sis installers that can then be installed on both N95 8GB and Nokia 5230. Or S60 3.1 and S60 5th.
    However, due to limited QML functionality on older platforms I will be forced to use QT with Symbian C++ which I believe is a real pain to learn.

I've looked at PyS60 but decided against it since the last version (PyS60 2.0.0) is said to be buggy with the latest PIPS update. Didn't really research what PIPS is but it seems important for core Nokia apps and is an unavoidable update.

Then there's J2ME which I tried last week but was unable to open a 2.5 MB jpg in my "Hello World + Hello Image" test app because the phone ran out of memory.

Thanks, to both of you for answering. I think I'll just give Symbian C++ a go. Don't know till you try, right?

Nokia Developer Moderator

The qt support is illustrated in: http://qt-project.org/wiki/Support_for_Symbian , so to support both devices, you would need to use Qt 4.6.3 + Qt mobility 1.0.3 only.

The standard installation package likely is not including the required Qt 4.6.3 target, thus you would need to use the update option to get it installed, which basically doubles the download size.

Why would you need to open such a file file with Java ? With Symbian you could also run out of RAM as well, basically each pixel takes 4 bytes, thus I assume the file you are having takes easily 20 MB++ of RAM when opened as Bitmap.