Discussion Board

s40 6th ed sdk emulator fails

Hi

has this been seen before "c:\nokia\devices\s40_6th_edition_sdk\bin\emulator.exe This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem." This is outside any IDE, from start menu or in the file manager.

I have reinstalled it twice and also removed VC++ 2008 redistributable and reinstalled. (I have Windows XP and JRE 6. I don't see what could be wrong with the configuration as Nokia SDK 1.1 installs and runs fine.)

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: s40 6th ed sdk emulator fails

Hi hotfoot and Welcome to Nokia's Discussion Boards,

What if you download and install JDK 1.7.0_3 from here ? I am using this version of Java and I can successfully launch the S40_6th_Edition_SDK Emulator from the Start Menu. Also make sure that you open your task manager and you kill any javaw tasks that might be left running from previous attempts.

Unfortunately does not work for me. I can even run 5th edition (with JRE 5). I get a warning when installing that 6th edition works better with JRE 6 (which is why I tried with that first).

Nokia Developer Expert

What happens if you launch the emulator by clicking on the sdk.exe that you can find here:

c:\nokia\devices\s40_6th_edition_sdk\bin\sdk.exe

Do you get the same error?

Hi I found it out it was missing Oracle's Java ME pack. That's in the documentation too. (Anyway I think I will maybe be primarily using Oracle's emulators they seem to be more accurate and faster, and wider range of phones).

Nokia Developer Expert

But on the other hand, if you use Oracle's Wireless Toolkit, you won't be able to properly run a MIDlet that uses Nokia specific System Properties, especially if your target is a Nokia device. Also screen resolution, keyboard interaction and security prompts, will be more realistic, if you use one of the available SDK for each platform. Also the supported APIs of the SDK will match that of the device, so testing on a Nokia Emulator might save you some time.