Discussion Board

How to correctly create a subproject ?

I have a Symbian project in Qt/QWidget and I want to use most of its code into another project, just have a different main.cpp and different QMainWindows.

I created a Subdirs Project (SubProject) and then another mobile project (I named it also SubProject) and in main.cpp of SubProject I include some files from the MainProject.

The problem is that I get "undefined reference" error on build for all classes from MainProject I'm trying to reference. I tried also adding them to SubProject.pro, but it's the same error. What am I doing wrong and how to correctly create a subproject that can use the files from main project?

Code:
    make.exe: Entering directory `C:/Develop/QtProjects/MainProject/SubProject'
    sbs -c arm.v5.udeb.gcce4_4_1
     mifconv    : BITMAP  	[arm.v5.udeb.gcce4_4_1]
     target     : epoc32\release\armv5\udeb\SubProject.exe  	[arm.v5.udeb.gcce4_4_1]
       c:/qtsdk/symbian/tools/gcce4/bin/../lib/gcc/arm-none-symbianelf/4.4.1/../../../../arm-none-symbianelf/bin/ld.exe: warning: C:/QtSDK/Symbian/SDKs/SymbianSR1Qt474/epoc32/release/armv5/udeb/usrt3_1.lib(ucppinit.o) uses variable-size enums yet the output is to use 32-bit enums; use of enum values across objects may fail
       C:/QtSDK/Symbian/SDKs/SymbianSR1Qt474/epoc32/build/subproject/c_49a1196a6e3af7fc/Subproject_exe/armv5/udeb/main.o: In function `main':
       C:/Develop/QtProjects/MainProject/SubProject/SubProject/src/main.cpp:218: undefined reference to `MyClass::getInstance()'

Re: How to correctly create a subproject ?

Could it also be a paths error? What would I need to check and change?

PS: I tried including just 1 file from main project. If the method I call is in the .h file, I don not get any "undefined reference" errors. If it's in the .cpp file, I get " undefined reference" errors. From what I understand, just the .h files from main project are correctly included, probably it's a paths error, how do I manage to correctly add .cpp files to project?
    Last edited by catharsis; 2012-04-13 at 08:57.

Can anybody help me on this? So .h files are included correctly into project, but .cpp files are not.

There is a much simpler method: copy your .pro file in the same directory and change it according to your needs. The main.cpp can be the same with conditional define or another file with a different name.

Ok, so I would have 2 projects that are using same src folder and some common files (thus no duplicates files and changes would be synchronized)? This might work and would be much simpler. Thanks.

PS: would there be any conflicts with Makefile, deployment.pri and bld.inf ? I can rename the deployment.pri file, but what about Makefile and bld.inf ?
    Last edited by catharsis; 2012-04-13 at 11:10.

I didn't have to worry about that my only conflict is with the localization file which I need to reedit for the application name each time I change project.

I renamed deployment.pri and now both project work. Thanks.