Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular Contributor

Samsung is now FIRST mobile manufacturer worldwide!!

Nokia yesterday announced that they during the first quarter of 2012 sold around 83 million mobile phones, 12 million smart phones and 71 million feature phones. Analysts calculate that Samsung now, been the number two for a long time now in the worldwide market share,the sold in that same quarter between 85 and 90 million mobile phones.

Nokia saw its sales of the first quarter sinking deeper than ever. Compared with the previous year (Q1 2011) the Finns sold over 35 million units less. This decrease was mainly due to a further decrease in the number of the sold Symbian smartphones, coupled with the still limited success of the new Windows Phone (Lumia) models.

Samsung’s sales grew by contrast, compared to Q1 in 2011, with 15 to 20 million devices, depending on which prediction (85 – 90 million) comes out. The Korean manufacturer has yet to present its quarterly results. The same goes for the final results of Nokia for the first quarter of 2012. Anyway, Samsung has overtaken Nokia

This is caused by Nokia not supporting SYMBIAN!! and instead trying to use obsoleto windowsphones which there are NO sales worldwide.

Hope Elop change immediately the strategy and keep supporting SYMBIAN.

Past 14 years Nokia was the undisputed number 1, but since some quarters the Finns lead heavy losses.

This is due to the problem of not supporting symbian!!!!

Re: Samsung is now FIRST mobile manufacturer worldwide!!

Quote Originally Posted by droopyar View Post
    This is due to the problem of not supporting symbian!!!!
    I also think so. The OS is great, absolutely stable, supports good multitasking, only takes a small amount of memory and CPU power, good development tools... But on the front end (GUI) there's still a lot to improve since touch phones were introduced.
    Hopefully there's a revival for Symbian, but currently it doesn't seem to be realistic.

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_B View Post
    Hopefully there's a revival for Symbian, but currently it doesn't seem to be realistic.
    There's practically nobody left to revive it (at Nokia, and not that many at Accenture, either), even if Nokia suddenly decided it wanted to, I'm afraid. It is time to let Symbian go and let it live on in the memories of people and the internet as something that really kicked off the era of smartphones. The only way is forward.

Regular Contributor

Symbian could be easily again number1 in the market, if Elop decide it, just including this upgrades:
    - Improve GUI for customers (more screen like N9 or Lumia)
    - Add the Microsoft package which i think Nokia is working to launch in Symbian Carla
    - Keep more updates and more interaction with PUSH method.

Symbian is by far the best OS actually, but with the worst marketing in the mobile scene due to Nokia directors.
    According to latest Elop comments, i think Nokia will design Symbian to fight android, and leave Windowsphone to compete with iphone. I think this is the new strategy.
    Also i think Nokia will move symbian to business level using Microsoft business tool (as it is very secure and stable)
    Using QT is obsolete, better to use original symbian.

If Symbian is upgrade more often and with a better GUI, i think it could survive. Windowsphone are the lowest market share in the world. Nokia will die if they expect people to buy windowsphones.
    I think Asia and South america market, which is sitll nokia number1, they need to launch immediately new symbian phones, or they will lose all markets worldwide.

Example: I also have a samsung i9003L running android gingerbread, and it is completely unstable, wifi do not work sometimes, software security is obsolete, battery is obsolete, etc.
    I like more my old symbian 5800 phone, but i hope nokia keep improving more ideas.

Adding Microsoft official software under symbian, could be a good move, but i recommend to improve the user screen, more widgets.

It is rare, Nokia is doing all the efforts themselves to kill their business. Very funny.
    Last edited by droopyar; 2012-04-17 at 04:02.

I think Nokia will have a chance with windows phones , but not this year. Supporting and improving SYMBIAN is the only solution right now.

Regular Contributor

@zatopek: Windowsphone are not massive phones (nokia sales will be maximun 2 millions, against the same period 80 millions of Symbian phones), and the OS is still very basic, unstable. It needs 2 years aprox of development for windowsphone software.

Instead, Symbian is very efficient in batttery, stable and with many years experience in Nokia. Problem, is that Nokia strategy is confused, and symbian is now updated to Carla, but Nokia do not launch interested phones.
    I have post many times, that Nokia needs to launch a N9/lumia design but with Symbian Carla on it. It will be a best seller worldwide product in 1 second.

Hope Elop improve his own marketing and Nokia marketing, as if the plan to live with only windowsphones (2 millions units), nokia will be a very small finland new company, few employess and few sales.

Re-inventing Symbian, will be the correct choice now.

Regular Contributor

@ralph

Android it is a linux base software, but uses java (j2se) on applications. java is an very limited OS to code. Nowadays obsolete for mobile applications and computers for public.
    Blackberry uses also a very limited java, and sales are down worldwide, due to java.
    So android future is very very limited. It has a good marketing due to google help, but android is not the future OS.

Symbian is by far the best OS actually, but needs some changes on GUI and design of nice phones. (like n9 or lumia but with symbian)

So, if Nokia wants, symbian could win the battle against android very easy. But nokia directors are forcing customers to move to wnidowsphone, which are extremly obsolete, no marketing, no sales worldwide.
    Will take 2 or 3 years to have interesting market for this devices. When microsoft could use real windows7 pc softwre on mobiles.

Super Contributor

@ralph

Android it is a linux base software, but uses java (j2se) on applications. java is an very limited OS to code. Nowadays obsolete for mobile applications and computers for public.
    Blackberry uses also a very limited java, and sales are down worldwide, due to java.
    So android future is very very limited. It has a good marketing due to google help, but android is not the future OS.
    Android's default programming language is Java, but the implementation is based on Apache Harmony, and called Dalvik.

It has nothing to do with the limitations of J2ME or J2SE; Google just picked the programming language and many of the APIs, but the implementation is done separately, and you can't draw conclusions on its future based on your expectations of J2SE.

Android also allows for native C/C++ development.

The core OS underlying Android is, indeed, Linux.

Regular Contributor

@petrib: Yes, thats correct.
    Android is linux core base, but it is not a solid platform to develop. I remember my old motorola A1200 phones linux base (6 years ago), that finally was discontinued.
    Main problem of linux phones are the updates. There are so many drivers, and adaptations that it is technically impossible to develop. Thats why linux PC also do not have good market share.
    Moreover, Samsung is also developing TIZEN which is a new own OS, to leave android in the future. Nowadays, as there are so many low prices chinese manufacturers that will use android, samsung will need to enter a price level strategy to fight them.

Windowsphone are still very young, and i dont understand why Elop is happy just selling a few 2 million units, this is for a very small 5 employess company. Nokia strategy always was to sell to mass public, thats how it was number1 for last 14 years.
    And due to not supporting symbian, Nokia sales will be down fall. I think Nokia needs to keep symbian with launching new phones (with a more modern desing like N9) and keep supporting symbian until the market moves to windowsphones.

If he do not do a good twist now, nokia will be just a small company selling obsolete windowsphones (and imagine microsoft also sell it to other manufacturers), nokia will compete with HTC, Samsung, etc, all selling SAME OS but with a more aggresive strategy..... mmmm.... bad business movement...

Super Contributor

Developing for Android has its headaches (not the least one of one is the fragmentation in hardware, which the Android SDK/APIs does not always hide well). Manufacturers add to the confusion, too, with e.g., the 20-30 different models (some with different modems, different displays, different CPUs, different GPUs) that Samsung calls "Galaxy S II", issues with Google Play (formerly known as Android Market) to properly recognize all these.

Nevertheless, do not compare Android to other Linux-based phone platforms from 6 years ago. That's not relevant. In other words, what TIZEN will be remains to be seen, but it'll still be based on Linux (presumably with a HTML5/CSS/JavaScript front-end UI -layer, it seems). In any case, besides Intel and Samsung, it doesn't seem to have much momentum yet. It might be a year or two still, before TIZEN amounts to anything significant (it is building upon what was MeeGo, without the UI layer that was in Nokia's version MeeGo Harmattan 1.2 for the N9, because that's not part of the actual MeeGo, but Nokia property, and whatever Samsung brought to the table, which might require a lot of work to sort out with the MeeGo foundation, or starting from "scratch" on top of Linux). MeeGo was the attempt by the then largest phone manufacturer (Nokia) and the largest PC chip manufacturer (Intel) and to bring Qt as the app development environment. TIZEN is the same thing, except that the largest phone manufacturer is now Samsung, and Qt doesn't seem to play a role.

In any case, for all practical intents and purposes, Symbian is a goner; it'd take an enormous investment by Nokia to recover the spiral of death (huge credibility gap, even if there's really nothing wrong with the OS itself and it can do anything a mobile phone requires, and does it in a way and with features that do not exist in all competing OSs; however, resellers are abandoning it, users are abandoning it, developers are abandoning it, most of Nokia's Symbian developers do no longer work for Nokia, and a great many of them that were sold to Accenture, has left or are leaving Accenture, too). In these conditions, with Nokia's dwindling cash reserves, Nokia's board would never authorize the investment it'd require to rebuild the momentum. The mistake was in starting to steer away from it in 2009-2010, announcing that it'd be replaced publicly in February 2011, followed by the backtracking by saying that even if it was going to be replaced, Nokia wanted to sell 150 million more still. Impossible situation where the CEO announced that it is bad and must be replaced, not have the replacement ready, and then try to recover by trying to keep people buying it, still.

So, Nokia can only look forward, not backwards.

Symbian is past history, and so is MeeGo.

Forward is the dependency on Windows Phone for the smartphones, and whatever Nokia decides to do with the low-end to low mid-range of phones (and their services, and networks).

Android is not an option for Nokia in any near-term (it has to see what Windows Phone amounts to, first).

RIM/Blackberry is in dire straits, too, it seems (abandoning attempts to get consumers, reverting back to its core of business users); it wouldn't be a surprise to me, if Nokia struck a deal with them, except that I think it'd be a bad idea (the Blackberry service is too locked-in, not "cloud" based requiring companies or operators/carriers to buy into the Blackberry infrastructure, which is a hard sell, if corporations/operators have to buy, operate and maintain specialized servers and services for just one company's devices).

Other dead OS's like webOS, Palm are no options, either. They're history, too, just like Symbian is going to be, just as Microsoft Windows Mobile/CE is.

Of course, as the past has show, some "outsider" can still appear and "take over" the market (or a big part of it) someday, too. Nothing is for ever in computing; operating systems, platforms, middleware libraries, etc., come and go, Sometimes they stick around for longer than others, but the world and technology marches on, and what used to be doesn't necessarily matter for ever.

Regular Contributor

@petrib: I agree with your view.

According to my information, Linux (ubuntu) is planning to release next year they own Mobile version.

RIM/Blackberry sales are going down worldwide due to the close structure of their network, and i think this could be easy replaced by Symbian Business Tools (like the microsoft applications released).
    Symbian is very stable and secure to be used in business level, so i think Nokia is focusing on that direction for symbian, to replace blackberry in business. Microsoft was interested in buying RIM, but now i think they change to symbian for the business level software.

Windowsphone are not good right now, needs 2 oe 3 years to be recognized as a strong competitor. Moreover windowsmobile was an obsolete OS and many customers now hate to buy a Microsoft phone. Windowsphone7 also do not have a good marketing worldwide. And moreover, using windowsphone will bring nokia to have direct competition with other low price manufacturers from China or India. It will be very complicate to Nokia to fight against HTC, and the 2 china manufacturers of mobile phones at prices almost impossible to reach. Thats why samsung is also supporting TIZEN or future developments, so as to not be equal to others.

Meego is also not good choice. Android in future will be very bad OS, due to the many modems, drivers, and compatibility for developers.

Market is moving, what i could see is that symbian will move to business level to replace blackberry (like E6)

Bad movement was done by Elop to promote windowsphones when users really dont like them. He comes from Microsoft, and Microsoft is sending Nokia a commission of sales in USD. But i think it is not the good choice yet.

Mobile phones needs creativity and innovation. Like the 41megapixel camera of 808 has bring nokia to be again in the scene. Hope it keeps, as i like nokia, i have not have any problem with my nokia phone for years.

Nokia Developer Moderator

What do you expect from this discussion? With title "Samsung is now FIRST mobile manufacturer worldwide!!" on site "Nokia Developer", talking about all past/present mobile OS-s (with the exception of iOS perhaps).
    Symbian can not get strength from the sole pressure from a handful of developers (though it is still not clear to me if you are a developer at all). If you have some killer apps in your mind, feel free to create them for Symbian as long as it exists. There is a thread for such ideas already, http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...r-Nokia-device, you even have a post there.

Regular Contributor

@wizard_hu: Concerning this topic is to alert Nokia that he is not using the correct strategy. Nokia sold only 2 million windowsphone, against HTC who sell 30 millions of android.
    Nokia core business is the 80 millions of symbian devices sold last year.
    Hope nokia revert immediately the strategy, or this forum will be a very limited forum just for few devices and a couple of coders,and developers will move to other OS.

Here is a funny information:
    Microsoft received 5 USD per android device sold by HTC due to patents (HTC sold 30 million units per year)
    Microsoft received 15 USD for each Windowsphone license (in this case Nokia sold 2 millions only)

So, Microsft receive more incomes from HTC patent than from their own phones! . Thats so funny.

Regular Contributor

HEre are results.

Hope Nokia keep supporting symbian, or nokia will be the lowest next period.

Super Contributor

Hope Nokia keep supporting symbian, or nokia will be the lowest next period.
    At least in this case, you really can stop hoping, and better start accepting that Symbian is history and will not rise again (regardless of whatever its qualities were/are), not by Nokia, not by anyone. If and when Nokia ever rises again, it will not be because of or with Symbian.