Discussion Board

A J2ME app not working on N73 and C6 specifically

Hi all,

I had developed a simple J2ME app which is working perfectly fine on many of the handsets on which we have tested except Nokia N73 and C6. I have gone through the specifications of these handsets and compared them with the specifications of the handsets on which the app is working fine but I haven't found anything.

Description about the app:
    1. A J2ME app.
    2. It invokes an external URL on click.
    3. Digitally signed by Thawte (TM).

Description about the problem:
    1. I am able to download and install the app successfully on the handsets but after that it doesn't work, actually unresponsive.

Inputs requested.
    Thanks you so much in advance.

Super Contributor

Re: A J2ME app not working on N73 and C6 specifically

Hi Gurpreet_Chandok! Welcome to Nokia Developer Discussion Boards!!

Have you tested your app in any other similar platform Nokia Devices ? Does it work ? Does the App show permission request while opening the URL ? Have you tried to install unsigned app ? Does it work ? Does the app have any other functionalities ?

Regards
    Gopal

Hi Gopal, Thank you so much for replying.

By further studies I have found that Nokia N73 belongs to the Nokia S60V3 series and this particular series have a feature called "Mandatory Code Sigining". According to which, a user may install only programs that have a certificate from a registered developer, unless the user disables that feature or modify the phone's firmware through third-party hacks that circumvent the mandatory signing restrictions.

Can you please help me understanding this "registered developer" concept.

Yes, I have tested this app on Nokia E71 and as I mentioned, it was working absolutely fine.
    It doesn't show any permission request while opening the URL on E71. Yes, we have tried testing with unsigned app but on E71 only, not on N73.
    The app has only one functionality i.e. redirecting to the specified URL.

Regards,
    Gurpreet Singh

Super Contributor

For Java apps, unless its a operator branded phone & operator has set some restrictions in that device, its not mandatory to Sign Java apps. Your unsigned apps will work very well in the Nokia devcies, but Signing will make the app in trusted domain and also will remove the permission messages. Where have you read about "Mandatory Code Signing " requirement ? was it for Symbian C++ apps ?

Regards
    Gopal

Super Contributor

As Bala mentioned it very clearly that the java apps are not required signed to get installed on the Nokia devices.

You must be calling the platformRequest(String URL) on some command action or keypressed inside the code. Which will not need signing as the mandatory, though the app will be asking for some permission while calling the URL.

Did the app asked any permission from the user?
    Thanks with Regards,

R a j - The K e r n e l

Join Delhi-NCR Nokia Developer's Community,

Hi Gopal, Raj,

So, you people are trying to say that its the signing which is causing a problem here in this case?
    We have signed the app with the intention to make that app trusted and it is working fine on other Nokia handsets like E71.

Yes, I have used platformRequest(String URL) method.

The app just shows one message when we click on the midlet icon and i.e. "Allow application to use network and send or receive data".
    I have read about the mandatory code sigining on the Wikipedia. if we search for "Nokia S60 series".

Regards,
    Gurpreet Singh

Super Contributor

@Gurpreet_Chandok I didnt mean that Signing is causing the issue. I was asking you to just give a try with Unsigned Midlet to see if its working. For your better understanding and genuine answers, I would suggest your to always refer to resources in http://www.developer.nokia.com/ rather than any other 3rd party Wikipedia site. The Mandatory code Signing is not for Java Apps.

Regards
    Gopal