Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Question Arabic strings written in reverce order

Hi again,

sorry for going back to this thread again, but i faced a problem while drawing arabic characters to the home screen.
    The characters is drawn upside down( in the reverse ) what i mean if the case will happen in english and i have the HELLO word then it will be displayed OLLEH

What should i do to resolve this error? note i have execute a messagebox before the drawing and the word is in the correct way
    void CWindowDrawer:raw(TBuf<100>& TheNewsToDisplay)
    {
    QString qString((QChar*)TheNewsToDisplay.Ptr(),TheNewsToDisplay.Length());
    QMessageBox::information(NULL,"",qString); //the string is displayed correctly here in the message box
    iWindowGc->DrawText(TheNewsToDisplay,TRect(25,StartY2,DrwRect.Width(),(StartY2 + iMyFont->HeightInPixels())),iMyFont->AscentInPixels(), CGraphicsContext::ELeft, 5);// the text is drawn upside down

Thank you

Re: Arabic strings written in reverce order

But are arabic words not supposed to be from right to left?

Nokia Developer Moderator

Yes they should be, but there are some issues on drawing text when the layout is mirrored. I actually would have code for this, but unfortunately those codes are inside my personal projects, and thus are not with me here at office. Will be checking them later as I get home, though today might be a bit busy..

Hi, any update concerning this post?
    Sorry for being late but seems that i faced a problem with the Nokia developer site in the past week , so i created a new profile to be able to reply to threads.

Thank you

Nokia Developer Moderator

Sorry about not checking this earlier, anyway here's older thread: http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...abic-mix-issue

So basiclaly you would check whether current language is mirrored, and if it is you would use the ConvertToVisualAndClipL to modify the buffer to be in correct order before drawing it
    <code>
    if(AknLayoutUtils::LayoutMirrored()){
    AknBidiTextUtils::ConvertToVisualAndClipL(buffff,*useFont, aRect.Width(), aRect.Width(), AknBidiTextUtils::ERightToLeft );
    }
    </code>

Thumbs up Re: Arabic strings written in reverce order

Quote Originally Posted by symbianyucca View Post
    Sorry about not checking this earlier, anyway here's older thread: http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...abic-mix-issue

So basiclaly you would check whether current language is mirrored, and if it is you would use the ConvertToVisualAndClipL to modify the buffer to be in correct order before drawing it
    <code>
    if(AknLayoutUtils::LayoutMirrored()){
    AknBidiTextUtils::ConvertToVisualAndClipL(buffff,*useFont, aRect.Width(), aRect.Width(), AknBidiTextUtils::ERightToLeft );
    }
    </code>

Thank you symbianyucca

the code works like a charm, note that i replaced ERightToLeft with ELeftToRight to avoid some errors that i faced when the text is in English.

Thank you again for your help
    Best Regards,
    Rondo