Discussion Board

Place id and pricing

Hi,

Is there any risk that any placeId could change ?
    Will the Places API and Maps API remain free in the foreseeable future ?

Best regards,
    Stefan

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Place id and pricing

AFAIK place ID is globally unique identifier which should not change, though of course there could be place merging happening when two users have added same place into the database, etc., so you probably should not rely that they are 100% unaffected always.

For the free question, I have not seen anything public on this issues published, though you could see what Daniel said in: http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...ching-for-City

Nokia Developer Expert

Hi,

Place IDs will remain stable in the sense that the /places endpoint will always return the place for the given ID. However, there might be more than one ID per place. One example is, when places are merged.

Can you tell us what you need place IDs for? In a flow from /explore or /search to a place, you are required to use the URLs we provide in the response. These URLs include critical information that is required to create the response for the next request, cf. http://api.maps.nokia.com/en/restpla...l#api_contract

daniel.
    Daniel Moor
    Nokia Places API

I need the place ID to build upon it. It will be used internally in my noSQL database as a key and I would add things like user comments and ratings, locals (it's a social travel mashup), live comet/websocket chat for people currently exploring the location corresponding to the placeId (placeId is filtered to cities and countries to suit my needs) and more ...

EDIT: "your UI must provide a link that allows the user of your application to access the full place details as provided by Nokia in a web browser" , I will comply to this as well.
    Last edited by sdfanq; 2012-04-20 at 11:25.