Discussion Board

Running Qt application inside of SDK stuck on "Launching" after adding locally genera

Well, ran out of letters for the title. It should say:
    "Running Qt application inside of SDK stuck on "Launching" after adding locally generated static libraries."

I have no idea what the problems is. Hence I'm posting it to the most generic Qt group I could find. Is it a bug in the SDK? Or is it how I created the static libraries?

Well, I think the libraries are fine. Here's why... I understand Unix but not Windows make files. So, I've got these statically linked libraries working under Unix type environments.

It's the Windows simulation I am having problems with!

After reading a bunch of web pages and watching a number of how-to videos I finally got to the point where "I think" the Windows build is "seeing" all the necessary files. That is, it compiles and links with out complaint. But I simply can not run the executable on Windows. When I run it normally it appears to simply exit on Windows. When I run it in debug mode it appears to hang indefinitely. The progress bar on the left side of the Qt SDK GUI says "Launching" and the "Launching" bar beneath it indicates about 20% completion (if that really means anything). And there the Qt SDK sits. About 10 minutes so far.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

-thanks

Re: Running Qt application inside of SDK stuck on "Launching" after adding locally ge

Is it a desktop application? Can you provide some application output log that comes in qtcreator to be of more help to you.

Re: Running Qt application inside of SDK stuck on "Launching" after adding locally ge

The intended target is a MIPS platform. The code will build on a cross compiler Linux box and execute as expected on the MIPS platform. However in the desk-top-Windows build, the application (apparently) immediately exits with no output. Or will hang on "Launching". I don't see any logs. Maybe I don't know where to look.

Already I have found Windows does not understand Makefiles like Unix, Linux or even Solaris. I have tried may variations to help Windows find the include paths for headers and libraries. I suspect the current syntax is correct as there are no warnings or errors regarding missing files or undefined resources. But, none of these attempts to help Windows appear to make a difference.

More background:

The application originally was one collection of methods containing main and 2 classes using only Qt libraries. That version of the code worked on both Windows and the MIPS target. Only after the 2 classes were put into their own statically linked libraries did the Windows version of the application cease to work. While the MIPS target continued to work wonderfully.

What happened?

Quote Originally Posted by st2000 View Post
    ...What happened?
    As it turns out, the *.pro file was badly formed. Near as I can recall, I had started out trying to make a *.dll file. Then later I switched to making a *.a file. Well, the *.pro file line read "DEFINES += staticlib" where it should have read "CONFIG += staticlib". When corrected the static library worked as expected.

Still, never seeing an error message was very very problematic.

Anyone know where to look for errors or how to figure out these types of Makefile problems with out simply shot gunning it?

-thanks

OK, good that your problem is solved. The compile output tab in qt creator is what we usually use to see the compile time logs. Anyone has better way to see the logs?