Discussion Board

701 Belle FP1 upgrade caused app to stop working?

Hi, I've received an email from someone who was quite happily using my app on his 701 running Belle. He upgraded to FP1 and now says it's no longer working. He's quite insistent it's fixed.

I know the bit of code that doesn't work, but as it works on my N8 and I can't get access to a 701 running Belle FP1, I'm not sure where to start, Anyone got any pointers?

It's a bog standard signal firing on the network name change.

Code:
    connect(sysInfo,SIGNAL(networkNameChanged(QSystemNetworkInfo::NetworkMode,QString)),
                          this,SLOT(networkNameChanged(QSystemNetworkInfo::NetworkMode,QString)));

void MainWindow::networkNameChanged(QSystemNetworkInfo::NetworkMode mode,const QString &text)
    {
               ui->NetNameL->setText(text);
    }
    Thanks

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: 701 Belle FP1 upgrade caused app to stop working?

Hi DrZ, see the link from my signature below, it will show you a couple of Nokia Belle and Nokia Belle FP1 specific changes (Qt as well) among which you will see that apps using Qt Mobility's network info will recuire the ReadDeviceData capability starting with Belle FP1. Just add it to your project and it should start working again.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Hi, thank you very much for the pointers.

I've always had the ReadDeviceData capability set , but testing today on the remote devices, no Belle FP1 (SW 112.10.1404) will report the Network Name. I think it's a bug in FP1, I've rewritten the code in every way I could think of, plus tried all the demos I could find on the web, none of which reported the network name on any of the FP1 demo phones.

I think I'm going to have to change the way my App works.

Code:
    CONFIG += mobility
    MOBILITY = systeminfo

symbian:TARGET.CAPABILITY += ReadUserData
    symbian:TARGET.CAPABILITY += ReadDeviceData
    symbian:TARGET.CAPABILITY += Location
    Code:
    SysInfo = new QSystemNetworkInfo(this);
    QSystemNetworkInfo::NetworkMode mode = sysInfo->currentMode();

// Mode
    ui->ModeL->setNum(sysInfo->currentMode()); // 1 or 3 reported, GSM or WCDMA
    // Network Name
    ui->NetworkL1->setText(sysInfo->networkName(sysInfo->currentMode())); // No result
    ui->NetworkL2->setText(sysInfo->networkName(QSystemNetworkInfo::GsmMode)); // No result
    ui->NetworkL3->setText(sysInfo->networkName(QSystemNetworkInfo::WcdmaMode)); // No Result
    Ps Never used the remote phones before, they're brilliant.

Is your app in the store? Point me to it please. If not, can you send me a sis file at ltomuta@ovi.com
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Thanks Lucian, Yes it's on the store, I'll send it to you , It's only the Network Name not working, but because of this, a few other things broke like the CGI and cellid.

I did try pretty hard today for hours with the remote phones, but I just couldn't get Network Name.
    Last edited by DrZ; 2012-04-25 at 21:51.

Ok, I could reproduce the problem. The good news (for you) is that I can also fix it. The bad news (for me) is that the nature of the change in the telephony midleware is not yet fully captured by the wiki page so I'll have to do some more testing and then update the info.

As documented already, not having the ReadDeviceData capability would panic your app. It turns out however that not having the WriteDeviceData capability would not allow you to read the info you need... So the solution in your case is simple, add the WriteDeviceData capability, rebuild, re-package and submit the app to the store (make sure to increment the version and all that jazz ... )

Sorry for the troubles.

Best regards,
    -- Lucian

You're a star, Lucian, I added the WriteDeviceData capability and it works perfectly on all the Belle FP1 remote test phones.

I can't express how much I appreciate the time you spent helping me today. New version has now been submitted to QA.

Thanks again, I really was quite stuck!!!!

Hi,
    I've been facing up-gradation issues. My screen orientation lock is not working and the app rotates with the phone. My code earlier worked fine on Symbian Belle before upgrading to Nokia Belle FP1

viewer = new QmlApplicationViewer();
    viewer->setOrientation(QmlApplicationViewer::ScreenOrientationLockPortrait);
    and in my pro file, I define:
    DEFINES += ORIENTATIONLOCK

What could I be missing?

Thanks
    mots

This is strange, somebody was complaining of a similar problem today and I quicly tested with a newly generated project which seems to have no problem handling orientation. I stopped investigating it after that, suspecting that the app in question had some other problems, but now I'm not so sure anymore.

However in the current templates DEFINES += ORIENTATIONLOCK is not used, so I wonder how old your code is and how it differs from the current one (my memory does not help me now). I will try to locate an old project which uses it and then compare with the current templates.
    -- Lucian

Hi Lucian, the person who originally complained FP1 broke my app emailed me today saying that he's downloaded the new version and it's working great on his Belle FP1 phone.

He's a happy bunny, and so am I thanks to your help and advice about adding the WriteDeviceData to the capabilities.

Thanks fella!

Great. Thanks for the update DrZ.
    This is also a good reminder to look at the orientation problem described above ....
    -- Lucian

Hi,
    I added DEFINES += ORIENTATIONLOCK to check if that helps me achieve the goal(it wasn't there before). I'll try to switch to the native symbian call, as shown here to check if it helps. However, I'm still unable to get it locked using the qml code which was working fine earlier:
    viewer = new QmlApplicationViewer();
    viewer->setOrientation(QmlApplicationViewer::ScreenOrientationLockPortrait);

Regards
    mots

well, even after making native calls to lock the orientation, it did not work. However, I found that if I explicitly install 'Qt Quick Components 1.1 for Symbian Anna device' on my device, the locking works. But this is not the solution I'm looking for because I assume that Qt Quick Components 1.1 anyway comes per-installed with Nokia Belle FP1 Os.

what could it be that is breaking the code?

Thanks,
    mots

Nokia Developer Champion

Hello lucian,

Did you checked this issue ?? I observed it too although not in my device but in some other Belle Fp1 devices.

Regards,

Hi all,

the orientation lock issue is now documented at http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...ientation_lock
    -- Lucian