Discussion Board

GetChildIdsL on root mail entry

Hello,
    I'm porting my code to Symbian Belle, using real device (Nokia E7-00) for testing.

My code (working on 3rd and 5th) traverses entire message store and retrieves messages according to some criteria. In Symbian Belle this is working fine for sms and mms, but fails for e-mail, because when I ask GetChildIdsL on mail root entry, the returned selection is empty.

I'm starting from KMsvRootIndexEntryId, using GetChildIdsL I can retrieve the Local entry, under Local I can list Inbox, Outbox,Drafts,Sent, fake@gmail.com, but when it comes to retrieve entries under gmail folder using
    Code:
    iMsvSession->GetChildIdsL(parentId, *iFilter, *iSelection);
    where
    Code:
    TMsvId parentId
    iFilter = CMsvEntryFilter::NewL();
    resulting iSelection->Count() is 0.
    I've also tried to explicitly set:
    Code:
    iFilter->SetOrder(TMsvSelectionOrdering(KMsvNoGrouping, EMsvSortByDate, ETrue));
    but with no result....
    I'm using all capabs except DRM, TCB, AllFiles.
    Any hint?
    Thank you,
    regards
    pg

Re: GetChildIdsL on root mail entry

Sorry for the bad news but there does not appear to be a way to get them through public apis. When I needed to do this, I ended up using the old Symbian Foundation code to figure out how the email app does it and read the data myself.

OK, thank you!
    I'll do the same and will post results if relevant :-)

hello gwechi,
    i'm looking into old symbian sources, but i'm getting lost... please, do you remember in which files you found the solution?
    thank you,
    regards
    pg

Nokia Developer Moderator

sf\app\messaging\messagingappbase\mce\src\MceMessageListView.cpp, CMceMessageListView::ChangeFolderAndRefreshListboxL might be a candidate to start with.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard_hu_ View Post
    sf\app\messaging\messagingappbase\mce\src\MceMessageListView.cpp, CMceMessageListView::ChangeFolderAndRefreshListboxL might be a candidate to start with.
    after looking into it, seems this is not the right place...
    so i've taken email app UID from phone, groked the value, and results point to
    sf/app/commonemail/emailuis/
    looking around i've found that this is referring to
    http://library.developer.nokia.com/i...ADB33B896.html
    so there's a "new" email API for Symbian Belle..?
    and i have the same email app on a recently updated 5th ed. device.... and i noticed that to configure a new email account the app requires access to a dedicated server.... ?

i'll go deeper, but things are getting a little bit complicate for an abandoned OS :-)

Nokia Developer Moderator

Since there has been little progress with this question and a month has passed, it may be worth pointing out that you probably have some (5 initially) free technical support tickets on the NDC Extranet. If there is some new Belle-specific magic involved, it may be hard to find out using 2-year old Symbian^3 code.

The configuration-needs-access-to-remote-server thing sounds like Nokia Messaging to me (http://betalabs.nokia.com/apps/nokia...60-5th-edition, http://discussions.europe.nokia.com/...ed/td-p/447994, http://europe.nokia.com/support/prod...il-service/faq, and some concerns on http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1296131)
    I do not know the details, but it is/was (http://email.nokia.com does not work for me now) a message aggregation service, checking and collecting your mails on their server and providing a push-like feature for your device.

If the account is created using Nokia Messaging Service, (Not a direct IMAP/POP account) then you will not get the details of the mails under the mailbox using the Symbian Messaging APIs, you may need to use the email APIs , not sure if they are public..

Since there has been little progress with this question and a month has passed,
    The reason is that is a background task for me :-)
    But thank you for the suggestion about support tickets.

I think it's more about the second post of this link, and not Nokia Messaging, i'll verify.

Quote Originally Posted by madhavnarain View Post
    If the account is created using Nokia Messaging Service, (Not a direct IMAP/POP account) then you will not get the details of the mails under the mailbox using the Symbian Messaging APIs, you may need to use the email APIs , not sure if they are public..
    yep, thank you

regards,
    pg