Discussion Board

WebView crash on certain pages

I have a QML app which uses WebView to show some data from a remote url
    if the javascript setting of the WebView object is enabled the app crashes on Symbian device, if the setting is disabled the WebView shows the page but obviously no javascript is running which is not the desired effect.
    An example for the url is: "http://www.themarker.com/misc/iphone-article/1.1681964"
    How can i know which part of the javascript cause it to crash? how can i debug it? why does javascript on webpage cause WebView to crash like that? (is it a matter of capabilities?)

Re: WebView crash on certain pages

bumping... anyone?

Nokia Developer Expert

At least that would be good start.

Hey Devnull,

Thanks for your reply i looked over both links, i tried what the first link said and i've added developerExtrasEnabled: true to my webview but i dont have "right click" and i dont know how to use it...
    as for the second link it involved clicking on links that causes the webkit to crash and also it said to be fixed in 4.6 so its not the same issue as im having with the webkit crash on load with the above link on symbian^3 (4.7.3)

can you offer any other related help?

Thanks,
    Shai

Nokia Developer Expert

Just wondering that QWebInspector::setVisible() would help instead of accessing it from the context menu.

The reference to webkit(s) bugzilla I mean in general. If a crash is known, that it expected to be listed there.

Devnull: i'm using Qt Quick as you know and i dont have any access to QWebInspector.
    as for the webkit bugzilla (so many bugs there...) but i did went over ALOT of them and i found https://bugs.webkit.org/show_bug.cgi?id=72285 which seem to be what im having...
    but for me i'm "stuck" on Qt 4.7.4 and 4.7.3 on (s^3 and s60_5th ed) and i even checked the mentioned sites source and my own site source and the one thing i see in common is the jquery.min.js inclusion and since i need the javascript still to be enable i need to know exactly what is the cause of this bug and how to work around it... is there anything you can help with? even verifying my original post with s^3 device so ill know its consistent

Thanks,
    Shai

Nokia Developer Expert

I understand.

I noticed that remote debugging is also possible.

One way to work around the issue could be to get the page from the network then clean it according to the observations and set the remaining to Webview html property.

/0

Hey again,
    as for your first links it relates to windows phone mango... and in any case i dont think that any kind of js debugging would help because the app crashes...
    i know i can use xmlhttprequest to retrieve the data and set the html property myself (i've done so before on other stuff) but the problem is there are many links and images with relative path in the html which would need to be addressed + when clicking on a link i would still have the same original problem (since you can detect link clicks in QML WebView before page has finished loading - the URL property isnt set untill the page is finished loading so you cant even use onLoadStarted) and not to mention that i still dont know what is the cause of the crash from JS and since the JS in question is JQUERY (in its compress & unreadable version) trying to manually do that could take ages.