Discussion Board

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Maybe We Should Have A Pys60 Game Engine

Thank you very much Hamish for that update. There were so many questions that ran through my mind for a while especially in wanting to know what were the limitations like what you've made a mention of. I do really enjoy having to code in Python, although quite frustrated with myself at first which is as if playing a video game even away from it. Oh well... as my luck would have it, the same happened with PocketC for the PalmOS at the moment where I felt to have started quite the progression. A friend of mine had just recently offered to sell me her Nokia 500 for $100... so, I will do an information search for which to find the most affordable... or free... "easy-yet-robust" developer kit.

You're welcome. You can check out the technical specs for the Nokia 500 here: http://www.developer.nokia.com/Devic...fications/500/ - and from there you can get to specs for all the other devices.

This phone is based on Symbian and is relatively recent. You can develop on it using Qt, Java, Python, Symbian C++. One thing you need to consider is that Nokia's main platforms are Series 40 and Windows Phone, so this is where we'll be investing going forward. For Windows Phone you can develop in XAML/C#/C++/HTML5 and for Series 40 you can develop Java or Series 40 web apps.

The best target depends on why you're doing it and how many of your skills you want to reuse - if its just for fun then any platform is OK but if you want to make money then you're better off looking at our current platforms.

Super Contributor

Hello all2happy

Big directions now are Nokia OS or Windows Phone. Of course you can use Qt, Python, etc but if you are planning to release new products for upcoming phones, stick to theses options.
    As a Python´s orphan, I am now using Java/J2ME for S40 Phones (Nokia OS). New S40 phones are great and capable. And you have a lot of documentation. The interface was revamped, dragging elements from Maemo and S60, and I enjoyed it (after my learning degree in J2ME of course).
    I like WP phones as well and I am always studing when I have time but the challenge of being small is more seductive for me.
    I hope you continue 2happy after these news. I survived.

Marcelo Barros

Hello Marcelo and again to Hamish, I certainly do appreciate both of your messages. Had been quite worried that is was over for Pythonic coding the Nokia mobiles... although rather recently curious about how much more dynamic HTML5 is and if it's far easier to learn. Speaking of which, seen an awesome Nokia interactive slide show that I believe YouTube should adopt this feature so that tutorials can look way more professional and load up a whole lot quicker... at least for mobiles. Tried to find a few on how to make a standalone or SISX a long time ago, but got no actual results.

Went about to download QT, then saw somebody post that the full commercial version was 1'500 USD per year, which will take me way too long to save up for, especially to soon start in college...to discover if mobile programming should be my pursuit, but I'm still not sure being unable to complete my personal samples of every code and other challenges like direct pixel allotments to provide fast enough image overlap color transitions of maybe 32 bytes in an selective ASCII format --

ASCZ = r'0123456789abc...'
    RGBZ = red01,red02,red03,red04,red05...]
    Explosion = [r'...',r'...',r'...'...]
    Bkgrnd = [r'...',r'...',r'...',r'...'...]
    def fade(x,y,topobj,btmobj):

Read that Qt will no longer be the future of Nokia and wonder which will compile python codes. Is there a list of quality YouTube videos I can look at to comparitively see which direction I should go?

Hi all2happy

Qt can be licensed for free under LPGL. The full commercial license does cost 1500 but that really isn't needed by almost anyone. You do need windows to run the SDK though (remote compiling is no longer supported). It is a great platform for Symbian and N9 devices, and also for desktop. I've heard it can also be used on Android, but not tried it. It is however true that this is not a future platform for Nokia (at least at this point) because it does not run on Windows Phone or Series 40, which are our main platforms. Neither of these support Python either.

In terms of recommendations, it depends on where you want to go.
    * Series 40 supports Java, which is not too dissimilar to C# or the programming framework used on WP (and Android if you were to move away from Nokia). It also has "Web Apps" - which rely on your HTML and CSS skills, but this is very much intended for accessing existing web based services and is not ideal for high performance graphical software.
    * Windows Phone allows development in C# and HTML, and with WP8 also C++ (a windows flavour of APIs though) and HTML5.

As a developer I think you need to accept that you will need to be multi-lingual. If I was starting right now I'd learn the web technologies first to get the greatest "breadth" of where I could program - ie this works with minor mods on most platforms. I'd then probably learn Java ME as this has the next greatest market penetration and is better for games etc than web technologies currently. Everyone will have their own opinion on this though!

Good luck

H
    Last edited by hamishwillee; 2012-11-15 at 01:04.

Understood and thank you. Had to really weigh it all out... well... everything I was able to find... and saw that the only courses available in Toronto, Ontario, Canada for college are HTML5 focused in which should be more than enough to start my very own rather unique online business venture along with a few other fascinating projects in mind. I really want to be a part of the Nokia's huge "Surprise Uprise" as there seems much the potential... so I've really challenged myself to learn a whole lot, but it's difficult to tell if my progression is adequate enough as to why I thought to post nearly every type of valuable snippet I can muster... mostly hoping to get further guidance while sharing it altogether.

Just began writing a code 2 months ago to have a pythonicized swipe keyboard of my very own and discovered how an application that looks really simple is actually has 2 and a half very difficult hurdles. The half... since I sort of came up with a solution... the dragging event lags a bit too much, so I created an list array to record after each different loop then do a loop segment of the distances of 40 pixels to read what's in between... however, I imagine a quick redirection of swiping will put off the accuracy. Then there's trying to figure out how to write an algorithm to truncate my personalized "listofwords.txt". Anyhow, I can now probably say the next troublesome task "was" trying to screen capture the canvased keyboard and text screen simultaneously in a way to avoid poor flickering by learning how to buffer/thread images, until I realized that maybe touching near the top section of the screen should switch the mode from graphic to text... and the "Exit" button to switch back. Anyhow, in my earlier attempt to create a graphic text wrap module... I came up with this conjured from a mix of examples that took me too long to customize...

Code:
    # text2fit.py

from appuifw import *
    from graphics import *
    import e32

app.directional_pad=False
    app.screen='large'
    lock=e32.Ao_lock()
    app.body=canvas=Canvas()
    app.exit_key_handler=lock.signal
    img=Image.new(canvas.size) # create an image
    width=canvas.size[0]-20
    img.clear(0x555555ff)

setfont=(u"dense",30,None)

txtEntry=[u'This is a "measure_text" wrap method example whereas...']
    words=[u'blahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblah',
    		u'should',u'appear',u'segmented',u'to',u'stay',u'within',u'the',u'given',u'boundary.']

def text_wrap(txtEntry=None):
    	global linewrap
    	w2=word[:]
    	try:
    		if linewrap:
    			pass
    	except:
    		linewrap=[u'']
    		try:
    			txtEntry=''.join(txtEntry)
    			txtEntry=txtEntry.split() # needed to be converted to a string
    			for line in txtEntry:
    				active=linewrap[0]+line
    				fits=canvas.measure_text(active,font=setfont)[1]
    				if fits > width:
    					while 1:
    						fits=canvas.measure_text(line,font=setfont)[1]
    						kb=canvas.measure_text(line,font=setfont,maxwidth=width)[2]
    						if fits > width:
    							linewrap.insert(0,line[:kb])
    							line=line[kb:]
    						else:
    							break
    					linewrap.insert(0,line+' ')
    				else: # fits entire entry
    					linewrap[0]+=line+' '
    		except:
    			pass

active=linewrap[0]+w2
    	fits=canvas.measure_text(active,font=setfont)[1]
    	if fits > width:
    		while 1:
    			fits=canvas.measure_text(w2,font=setfont)[1]
    			kb=canvas.measure_text(w2,font=setfont,maxwidth=width)[2]
    			if fits > width:
    				linewrap.insert(0,w2[:kb])
    				w2=w2[kb:]
    			else:
    				break
    		linewrap.insert(0,w2+' ')
    	else: # fits entire entry
    		linewrap[0]+=w2+' '

y=40
    	LnWr=linewrap[:]
    	LnWr.reverse()
    	img.clear(0x555555ff)
    	for line in LnWr:						
    		img.text((10,y),line,font=setfont,fill=0xffffff) # text on blue img
    		y += 36

### demo

for word in words:
    	text_wrap(txtEntry)
    	canvas.blit(img)
    canvas.blit(img)

lock.wait()
    Last edited by all2happy; 2012-12-17 at 10:29. Reason: I almost have this project complete as much preferred compared to most keyboards for a few main reasons, but as you've mentioned, the touch feedback is already a bit too slow as it is.

I've decided to stick with Pythonic programming... at least until my project to create apps is completed while hoping the Nokia now with Windows will fully allow it to continue, especially tired of learning from scratch how to code, so if that does come about, please let me know. Haven't yet purchased another phone... so there is still quite a bit more time, maybe until a little after the end of this year since I'll need it to get myself much further ahead in school.

Code:
    # 4x4portrait_buttonlayout_demo.py

import appuifw, graphics, e32, key_codes

RGB_GREEN        = (000,255,000)
    RGB_RED          = (255,000,000)
    RGB_BLACK        = (000,000,000)

appuifw.app.directional_pad = False
    appuifw.app.orientation='portrait'
    appuifw.app.screen='large'

appuifw.app.body = canvas = appuifw.Canvas()

Total_x, Total_y = canvas.size
    x=y=90

def handle_redraw(rect):
    	pass
    appuifw.app.body=canvas=appuifw.Canvas(redraw_callback=handle_redraw)
    img=graphics.Image.new(canvas.size)

yy = 220

xy_01 = ((x*0,y*0+yy), (x*1,y*1+yy))
    xy_02 = ((x*1,y*0+yy), (x*2,y*1+yy))
    xy_03 = ((x*2,y*0+yy), (x*3,y*1+yy))
    xy_04 = ((x*3,y*0+yy), (x*4,y*1+yy))
    xy_05 = ((x*0,y*1+yy), (x*1,y*2+yy))
    xy_06 = ((x*1,y*1+yy), (x*2,y*2+yy))
    xy_07 = ((x*2,y*1+yy), (x*3,y*2+yy))
    xy_08 = ((x*3,y*1+yy), (x*4,y*2+yy))
    xy_09 = ((x*0,y*2+yy), (x*1,y*3+yy))
    xy_10 = ((x*1,y*2+yy), (x*2,y*3+yy))
    xy_11 = ((x*2,y*2+yy), (x*3,y*3+yy))
    xy_12 = ((x*3,y*2+yy), (x*4,y*3+yy))
    xy_13 = ((x*0,y*3+yy), (x*1,y*4+yy))
    xy_14 = ((x*1,y*3+yy), (x*2,y*4+yy))
    xy_15 = ((x*2,y*3+yy), (x*3,y*4+yy))
    xy_16 = ((x*3,y*3+yy), (x*4,y*4+yy))

def up_event(event):
    	global xy
    	img.clear()
    	img.rectangle(((xy)), fill=RGB_RED, width=5)
    	canvas.blit(img)
    	xy=None
    def dn_event(event):
    	pass
    canvas.bind(key_codes.EButton1Up, up_event, ((x*0,y*0), (Total_x,Total_y)))
    canvas.bind(key_codes.EButton1Down, dn_event, ((0,0), (0,0)))

def box_01(event):
    	global xy
    	xy=xy_01
    def box_02(event):
    	global xy
    	xy=xy_02
    def box_03(event):
    	global xy
    	xy=xy_03
    def box_04(event):
    	global xy
    	xy=xy_04
    def box_05(event):
    	global xy
    	xy=xy_05
    def box_06(event):
    	global xy
    	xy=xy_06
    def box_07(event):
    	global xy
    	xy=xy_07
    def box_08(event):
    	global xy
    	xy=xy_08
    def box_09(event):
    	global xy
    	xy=xy_09
    def box_10(event):
    	global xy
    	xy=xy_10
    def box_11(event):
    	global xy
    	xy=xy_11
    def box_12(event):
    	global xy
    	xy=xy_12
    def box_13(event):
    	global xy
    	xy=xy_13
    def box_14(event):
    	global xy
    	xy=xy_14
    def box_15(event):
    	global xy
    	xy=xy_15
    def box_16(event):
    	global xy
    	xy=xy_16

canvas.bind(key_codes.EDrag, box_01, ((xy_01)))
    canvas.bind(key_codes.EDrag, box_02, ((xy_02)))
    canvas.bind(key_codes.EDrag, box_03, ((xy_03)))
    canvas.bind(key_codes.EDrag, box_04, ((xy_04)))
    canvas.bind(key_codes.EDrag, box_05, ((xy_05)))
    canvas.bind(key_codes.EDrag, box_06, ((xy_06)))
    canvas.bind(key_codes.EDrag, box_07, ((xy_07)))
    canvas.bind(key_codes.EDrag, box_08, ((xy_08)))
    canvas.bind(key_codes.EDrag, box_09, ((xy_09)))
    canvas.bind(key_codes.EDrag, box_10, ((xy_10)))
    canvas.bind(key_codes.EDrag, box_11, ((xy_11)))
    canvas.bind(key_codes.EDrag, box_12, ((xy_12)))
    canvas.bind(key_codes.EDrag, box_13, ((xy_13)))
    canvas.bind(key_codes.EDrag, box_14, ((xy_14)))
    canvas.bind(key_codes.EDrag, box_15, ((xy_15)))
    canvas.bind(key_codes.EDrag, box_16, ((xy_16)))

def exit():
    	global process
    	process = 0
    	app_lock.signal()
    appuifw.app.exit_key_handler=exit
    app_lock=e32.Ao_lock()
    xy     =None
    prev_xy=None

img.rectangle(((xy_16)), fill=RGB_RED, width=5)
    canvas.blit(img)

process = 1
    while process:

if xy <> prev_xy and xy <> None:
    		prev_xy=xy
    		img.clear()
    		img.rectangle((xy), fill=RGB_GREEN, width=5)
    		canvas.blit(img)

e32.ao_yield() # bottom of _running_loop_

app_lock.wait()
    Last edited by all2happy; 2013-06-19 at 03:03.

Quote Originally Posted by all2happy View Post
    I've decided to stick with Pythonic programming...
    I really suggest you do not. The wiki for Python has now been archived. I am planning on archiving this support forum too in the near future. Strongly suggest you migrate to Windows Phone or Nokia Asha. Note that there is now a Python 3 shell for WP so this might be an option for you to explore.

I've decided to stick with Pythonic programming... at least until my project to create apps is completed while hoping the Nokia now with Windows will fully allow it to continue, especially tired of learning from scratch how to code, so if that does come about, please let me know. Haven't yet purchased another phone... so there is still quite a bit more time, maybe until a little after the end of this year since I'll need it to get myself
    I'm proud of you for determination.It's people like you that keep the ecosystem alive.

Quote Originally Posted by babylongreece View Post
    I'm proud of you for determination.It's people like you that keep the ecosystem alive.
    I'm impressed by your determination, but also baffled by it. Of course if you're having fun or you're still able to make money then go for it.

Understood and thank you for that concern. It was a whole lot of fun to learn Python, but now that I found a way to create a new type of app that got a whole lot of attention as enhanced by a friend who said he needs to either figure out how to multi-thread the touch events for it to always respond fast enough or it will have to take on a more beneficial scripting language... which might be the latest Qt version or perhaps some sort of Java Powered App/Game Engine if that exists... depending on which is most compatible to their choice of cell phones. I really didn't want to bail out, but... they are my affiliates all waiting anxiously.

I've decided to stick with Pythonic programming... at least until my project to create apps is completed while hoping the Nokia now with Windows will fully allow it to continue, especially tired of learning from scratch how to code, so if that does come about, please let me know. Haven't yet purchased another phone... so there is still quite a bit more time, maybe until a little after the end of this year since I'll need it to get myself much further ahead in school.
    Android, BlackBerry 10 and Sailfish OS are all programmable with Python and I imagine Ubuntu Touch will be too when it's released so there's still plenty of options out there for Pythonistas.

Understood and thank you for that concern. It was a whole lot of fun to learn Python, but now that I found a way to create a new type of app that got a whole lot of attention as enhanced by a friend who said he needs to either figure out how to multi-thread the touch events for it to always respond fast enough or it will have to take on a more beneficial scripting language... which might be the latest Qt version or perhaps some sort of Java Powered App/Game Engine if that exists... depending on which is most compatible to their choice of cell phones. I really didn't want to bail out, but... they are my affiliates all waiting anxiously.
    Again, depends on the platform you want to target. if you're looking at Nokia Smartphones then I'd recommend Windows Phone (Lots of games engines, though C++ is not an easy language to learn well). If you're interested in budget phones like Nokia Asha, consider Java (this also works on Symbian)

If you're still keen on Symbian then Qt is a very good choice - Category:Qt . Note however that this is not as important a platform to Nokia as it was in the past, and you'll get better support here for Windows Phone or Java.

Was hoping Qt can make Java or "C++" apps as mentioned for any smart mobile without too much of a limitation, especially to (thread) detect drag events extremely fast, save data, able to smoothly animate games such as Raging Thunder, and even have a huge resource library of every type of example for which I would most likely purchase a Nokia Windows Phone then. To me, a game engine should be very simple to comprehend as if playing a video game in setting it all up where hardly any typing would be necessary almost like what scratch.com has demonstrated.

I very much do appreciate every response... it's just that I also need to convince my investors that I have the right mindset to create the apps and games that were drafted for them in order to get fully approved for a major funding which they at least need my main project to be all accessible on as many mobile phones possible. 2 years already went... and now it's almost back to ground zero, which explains why I had chosen to stay with Python in effort to show how much of a progress was made... then remembered they need proof that it can reach a very broad market, so I'm not all-2-happy about that , lol. Speaking of which... it doesn't make sense why there is not a preliminary two week course each in a classroom to let each of us determine if we can easily enough learn computational coding since it costs quite a bit to take the actual course. So yeah... it's way more that just for my affiliates of course.

A whole lot seems to be changing extremely fast before I even get the chance to try enough of it out for determining if this would suit me as career move. There's so many new concepts I have in mind, but to mainly write it down as a computational code... simply feels like it will take forever to accomplish each goal.... and in just having checked out Unity a short while ago regarding quite the announcement, it appears worth giving their game engine my immediate attention since it's entirely free... except for those who obviously have the wealth they said, lol.

I very much do appreciate every response... it's just that I also need to convince my investors that I have the right mindset to create the apps and games that were drafted for them in order to get fully approved for a major funding which they at least need my main project to be all accessible on as many mobile phones possible.
    If you want as much coverage as possible then HTML5 / JavaScript is probably a good bet. The HTML5 canvas is good for games, animations and touch UIs and it uses hardware acceleration where possible. There are a number of great libraries for use with the canvas, here are just a few:
    CreateJS
    KineticJS
    ProcessingJS

Apache Cordova is a runtime that allows your HTML5 based application to access device capabilities that are not available to web apps just running in the browser. Cordova is available for Android iOS, Tizen and Windows Phone.

JavaScript offers you more than just apps for mobiles though, with Qooxdoo you can create desktop calibre user interfaces and you can pair those with a NodeJS back end to make powerful client / server business applications that require no client side install beyond a quality browser.