Discussion Board

Submit to a test house and publish to Ovi

Hello I have an application that needs to be tested by a test house (it uses NetworkControl).
    Can I submit to Ovi and to a test house at once.
    I know that there is an offering from Ovi to test, sign and publish for free, but I think it is not available for applications with NetworkControl? Sending to a test house then sending for QA in Ovi will be very slow and expensive.

If there is no such option, may be I can extract the functionality that needs Network Control into a sis file that will not be modified frequently and use P&S to communicate with the main application? What do you think?

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Submit to a test house and publish to Ovi

Quote Originally Posted by microsoft2 View Post
    Hello I have an application that needs to be tested by a test house (it uses NetworkControl).
    Indeed, that is correct. For NetworkControl you need to have your code Certified Signed, http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...Symbian_Signed
    Can I submit to Ovi and to a test house at once.
    I know that there is an offering from Ovi to test, sign and publish for free, but I think it is not available for applications with NetworkControl? Sending to a test house then sending for QA in Ovi will be very slow and expensive.
    Sending it to signing first, then to Nokia/Ovi will not be more expensive than sending it to both place in parallel. Which is not possible anyway.
    If there is no such option, may be I can extract the functionality that needs Network Control into a sis file that will not be modified frequently and use P&S to communicate with the main application? What do you think?
    Yes, that is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard_hu_ View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by microsoft2 View Post
    Yes, that is possible.
    Not only possible, it is really recommended.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Quote Originally Posted by ltomuta View Post
    Not only possible, it is really recommended.
    It is a matter of distribution too, in my opinion. If you put something into the Store, its client software will hide the hassle. However if you also plan distributing the code separately, users will meet some additional questions when installing - you may or may not like that.

Thank you for the input! Almost ready for signing

I have extracted the code that uses Network Control (it stops a specific network connection ) into a separate exe/sis file. It does not have UI or anything - just a server that will be used by the main sis file.
    How should I submit it for signing? I plan to include a link to the unsigned main sis file in order to provide simple test capabilities, but is this a valid submission?

Yes, you should do something like that. Please read the checks on http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu..._Test_Criteria, it also describes the expectations about invisible application components.