Discussion Board

Lightbulb new idea , lets discuss it together

hey all , how are you
    I am a computer engineer and I have an idea , but I need your help to develope it .

I think about developing a portable software for mobile devices to remotely control fluid flow in pipe systems (for example gas pipes) ,

1) is it a good and applicable idea ?

2) if I want to connect my application to the web / wab technologies and if I want to implement complex Scientific and mathematical equations , is JAVA a good choice for such purposes ?

3) if not , what are the available solutions ?

thank you

Re: new idea , lets discuss it together

Quote Originally Posted by EngineerFromFuture View Post
    hey all , how are you
    I am a computer engineer and I have an idea , but I need your help to develope it .

I think about developing a portable software for mobile devices to remotely control fluid flow in pipe systems (for example gas pipes) ,

1) is it a good and applicable idea ?

2) if I want to connect my application to the web / wab technologies and if I want to implement complex Scientific and mathematical equations , is JAVA a good choice for such purposes ?

3) if not , what are the available solutions ?

thank you
    For an engineer your questions sound a bit stupid, sorry.

1) What kind of pipe systems are you talking about?

2) Any programming language is capable to solve complex equations. It's just about the programmer to implement it correct. "WAP technology" is almost dead since it started out. What do you mean when talking about web technology? Maybe you mean HTTP or a TCP/IP socket? Well, this shouldn't be a problem.

3) Solutions for what?

Nokia Developer Moderator

EngineerFromFuture:
    1) yes, it is possible and feasible to create a remote monitoring tool for this purpose, it may also enable adjusting parameters on the go. However having the controller itself running on a mobile phone is probably not a good idea - what happens if connectivity is broken?
    2) for monitoring and adjustments the computing power offered by Java is probably enough. Because of the suggestion in 1), here I do not assume that you want doing real-time massive calculations, so waiting for a second or two for a result can be tolerable

Johnny_B: just because some people know things like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Process_control, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Control_theory, while you do not, it does not necessarily render them being stupider than you.

Nokia Developer Champion

Does that mobile monitoring tool sounds like a mini version of an PLC or SCADA or a DCS

Nokia Developer Moderator

Plus to all of what others said, let me put it this way:

- If its too complex to do on a phone you can do it on a server with any language that you want
    - If you can place it on a server, on any given language, today its really simple to create webservices to interact with almost anything and return a result to the client that uses the webservice
    - If you have webservices running, a phone can be a client to them (windows phone, symbian, meego, others)

So even dough there may be some limitation on the phone that may prevent you to make it all happen on it, you can always create a platform that allows you to take full advantage of the phone portability and the power and flexibility of a custom designed solution that is hosted on a server.