Discussion Board

Websocket, SSE, WebStorage, etc for S60 5th / Nokia Browser 7.4 & 8.5 for S60 5th

Is there any chance that S60 5th edition devices like the N97 mini would get an updated version of Browser including the new HTML5 features like the standard geolocation API (although it's not that much important since we already got one), but also WebSocket, Server-Sent Events (SSE), WebStorage, AppCache or WebWorkers, all of these features available for WRT apps ?

I've been able to emulate SSE using EventSource.js, but I'd be interested by a native and optimized version of it, and of WebSocket as well.

Super Contributor

Re: Websocket, SSE, WebStorage, etc for S60 5th / Nokia Browser 7.4 & 8.5 for S60 5th

Hi,

Latest Firmware for N97 mini comes with Browser 7.3 that has some support for HTML5:
    https://www.developer.nokia.com/Reso...5-support.html

I'm just thinking that if your app needs all of those features, why not to implement it with Qt / Hybrid app?

Br,
    Ilkka

Re: Websocket, SSE, WebStorage, etc for S60 5th / Nokia Browser 7.4 & 8.5 for S60 5th

Thanks for pointing QT/Hybrid.

Actually for my app I only need SSE and found a way to emulate it - although I'm wondering how viable it is for a mobile device battery. Just it would have been nice to have these new APIs for WRT. And it's a bit frustrating to not have the latest features available on my device. I guess it won't ever have any other firmware update. :\

QT has been on my to-learn list for a long time, but WRT appeared as a very efficient way to write apps. I'll study QT for N97 mini and for the N900 as well.

nokia tell that partially HTML5 support by WRT but really HTML5 is not support in WRT. nokia Development team is very lazy they promoting Windows phone not Symbian Next five year nokia is out of the mobile market because iOS,Android,Blackberry,WebOS are supporting HTML5 future is on HTML5 they never support in there device i hate nokia lazy team