Discussion Board

Nokia Developer Champion

using database API's

Trying to utilize symbian database API RDbNamedDatabase. While going through various threads, found that these native API's does not allow one to connect tables within a database, though they have a method to fetch the table names etc(seems to be a bit irony, as what would one do with multiple table if they cannot be connected?, please correct if i am wrong as i am a no db expert).

So am i left with only option to utilize the open source database SQLiteS60 available from SourceForge or are there options available to connect tables elsewhere?

NOTE: i need give support from S60 3rd FP1 devices till S^3( tried looking at RSqlDatabase class, but its from S60 3rd FP2 onwards) for a Non-Qt application
    Last edited by vineet.jain; 2012-05-07 at 21:04.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: using database API's

Quote Originally Posted by vineet.jain View Post
    Trying to utilize symbian database API RDbNamedDatabase. While going through various threads, found that these native API's does not allow one to connect tables within a database, though they have a method to fetch the table names etc(seems to be a bit irony, as what would one do with multiple table if they cannot be connected?, please correct if i am wrong as i am a no db expert).
    That is true. However you can still connect them in your code at C++ level.
    So am i left with only option to utilize the open source database SQLiteS60 available from SourceForge or are there options available to connect tables elsewhere?
    If you want SQL-level joins and multi-table operations, yes.
    NOTE: i need give support from S60 3rd FP1 devices till S^3( tried looking at RSqlDatabase class, but its from S60 3rd FP2 onwards) for a Non-Qt application
    I remember that one of the first success stories with Open C/C++ was about porting Berkeley DB, http://www.nokia.com/NOKIA_COM_1/Dev...ucc_Oracle.pdf but I do not know if the actual port is available somewhere.

Nokia Developer Champion

I actually wanted to avoid hassles which come across while using OpenC/C++. Had a bad experience with OpenC/C++ while using it with SOAP web-services. So i think the only option i am left(if i do not go with OpenC options) with is to manipulate the code by own to join tables or to use a single table(just hoping that it does not makes the program slow).

Nokia Developer Moderator

Remember that in this use case everything happens locally. So putting load on the "server" (if there would be joins) versus putting load on your client (coding joins with for loops over RDbRowSet-s) will result in more or less the same performance. Especially since the RDbs-thing is not open for 3rd-parties, so you can use the RFs-thing only (or the RDbStoreDatabase), thus not even IPC will cause performance loss, because the DB engine will be running in your own process (so there is no "server" in fact).
    (In contrast to a "real" remote databasing scenario, where your phone could put the workload on some power-house database server).