Discussion Board

[moved] receive flash sms, ozeki ng, java help me

hello?please can any one tell me how i can receive flash sms in java. am using ozeki ng to send and receive other sms.let me explain...in our network provider there is service which you need to call a no.eg(*140#) then a flash message came up and ask you to choose topic(say replay 1 for English 2 for Spanish 3 to exit).Now i want to implement that in my pc to be automatically. if there is other way of implementing it please do tell. two things 1.how i can call that (*140#) 2.to detect(receive) the flash sms 3.to reply the flash sms

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: receive flash sms, ozeki ng, java help me

I don't know what "ozeki ng" is, but I suspect that what you want is not possible using Java running on a PC with the phone connected to it. It might be possible with a Symbian C++ app that runs on a Symbian C++ phone, though; ask on http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...-amp-Messaging

ok let me start google it..so Symbian C++ how is it differ from c++.am intermediate in c++ but know nothing in Symbian C++

Nokia Developer Expert

I think we have confusion on what the message is: http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...sh-sms-help-me

Nokia Developer Champion

If you have a phone/modem connected to a PC, then, use the phone manufacturer's APIs to access it. In the Nokia case, the only relevant APIs are the PC Suite APIs, but they're Microsoft COM APIs (might be possible to call them from Java using JNI) and requires the relevant PC Suite connectivity components to be installed on the (Windows) PC. The Nokia PC Suite APIs (Nokia PC Suite Connectivity APIs) and related documentation can be downloaded from somewhere on this site (note that there used to be two versions, where the "public" package had less APIs than what were in the "Forum Nokia PRO" version).

Otherwise the alternative is AT commands (open a virtual serial/COM port and write to it, or read from it), however all phone/modem functionality is not exposed/available via AT commands (at least not in the case of Nokia's phones; some other manufacturers might enable more). Note also that Nokia has not updated its AT commands reference documentation in many years, so they do not necessarily reflect reality very well. The Nokia AT commands specs/reference documents can also be downloaded from somewhere on this site.

If a Nokia phone/modem does not provide APIs/access to the functionality you need, consider locating a product that's intended for use for server-based connectivity (probably some M2M, machine-to-machine, solution), or instead of trying to roll your own, talk to a local network operator for a direct SMSC connection to their SMSC.

In general:

USSD: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USSD
    Flash SMS: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMS#Flash_SMS

i just want to implement it, think il learn more.for now i can dial,send and receive sms using java n rxtx with modem on my pc.So any body who know bot flash sms, can they be listened to a port as any other data?i want to retrieve them!

Nokia Developer Expert

As said in the other thread of yours (which is located user Symbian categories), if you want to implement something with Java, you should ask the question under Java sections in this discussion board. Also you should explain the issue in details, so people would understand your requirements and use case better.